Application and admission Data Science and Entrepreneurship - national procedure
This is the national application and admission procedure for Data Science and Entrepreneurship. This MSc program is a joint effort of Eindhoven University of Technology and Tilburg University. Students are free to choose at which university they want to apply: your application is registered by both universities and you will have access to the facilities of all three campuses in ’s-Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven and Tilburg.
Non-Dutch students please note
This is the national application and admission procedure for students with a Dutch nationality AND a diploma from a Dutch university.
If you have a Non-Dutch nationality AND/OR a diploma from a Non-Dutch university, you should follow the international application and admission procedure.
a) Check your eligibility
Prospective candidates of the Joint Master Data Science and Entrepreneurship should be prepared to embark on a multi-disciplinary program, with students from multiple backgrounds, cultures and nationalities.
1. Become an entrepreneur or innovator
It is expected that students who decide to apply for this program have an intrinsic motivation to become an entrepreneur or innovator.
2. Soft skills
Since this program is not only about learning knowledge and skills, but also about developing the personal traits that are generally believed to be critical to become successful, students should be open to this as well.
3. A solid background in data analysis and database technology
Last, but not least, this program requires students that are well equipped with BSc level knowledge and skills in the following two major domains: mathematics and statics - a.k.a. data analytics -, and programming and database technology a.k.a. data engineering.
Note: this section is specifically for applicants holding a Dutch diploma. If you graduated or are graduating from a foreign institution, please follow the admission procedure for international students (even if you have the Dutch nationality).
In this section we provide information for three groups of applicants:
1. Students from Eindhoven University of Technology or Tilburg University
Students holding a diploma of the Bachelor Data Science (jd) are directly eligible for the Master Data Science and Entrepreneurship (jd).
Eligibility via a premaster or minor program
Students holding a diploma from most other Bachelor programs at Eindhoven University of Technology and students graduated from the Bachelor Econometrics of Tilburg University are only eligible if: (i) they either have completed the (equivalent) courses of the premaster within their curriculum or (ii) after completing the premaster itself at JADS. In order to check your eligibility, please start the admission procedure.
2. Students from other Dutch Universities (wo)
In order to be directly eligible to the Master Data Science and Entrepreneurship (jd) the curriculum of your Technical Bachelor program needs to meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 10 ECTS in Mathematics
- A minimum of 10 ECTS in Statistics
- Courses in:
- (Introduction to) Computer Science / Data Science
- Programming (at least one language, preferably Python)
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining
Eligibility via a premaster or minor program
If the curriculum of your Bachelor program contains a minimum of 10 ECTS Mathematics and a minimum of 10 ECTS Statistics you are only eligible if: (i) you either have followed the (equivalent) courses of the premaster within your curriculum or (ii) after completing the premaster itself at JADS. In order to check your eligibility, please start the admission procedure via Tilburg University.
3. Students from a HBO Institution
Students from AVANS and FONTYS ICT
Excellent students studying at AVANS and FONTYS ICT can be offered the opportunity to follow a minor program during their studies. For more information about the minor, you can contact the study advisor of your program at AVANS or FONTYS ICT. Please note that application for the minor program goes directly through your hbo institution.
Students holding a degree in HBO ICT or equivalent
If your HBO ICT program contains at least 10 ECTS Mathematics and 10 ECTS Statistics and your English meets the language requirements, you are most likely to be eligible to a premaster at JADS.
If your average grade of the HBO ICT program is 7,5 or higher you are a candidate for the 30 ECTS premaster. Students having a lower average but meeting the criteria on Mathematics, Statistics, and English will be considered for the 54 ECTS premaster.
English language proficiency
Students are required to be proficient in spoken and written English
Applicants need to provide evidence of having achieved the required level by having one of the following qualifications:
- a. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test with a minimum score of 575 for the paper-based version, 232 for the computer version or 90 for the online version.
- b. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test with an overall minimum score of 6.5 and no individual scores below 6.0 in the separate sections of the test.
- c. Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with a minimum score A, B or C.
- d. Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
- e. Cambridge Certificate of English: Business Higher (BCE).
You are exempt from an English test if:
- You are a native English speaker, i.e. if you are a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- You completed all your university education in English. This only applies to scholars from the following countries: Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America.
- You completed a 3-years Academic Bachelor’s program (of at least 180 ECTS credits) fully in English in an accredited Research University in the Netherlands.
- You completed a 1 or 2-years Academic Master’s program (of at least 60 or 120 ECTS credits respectively) fully in English in an accredited Research University in the Netherlands.
b) Consider the deadlines
When applying for this program, please make sure that your application package, including all necessary documents, reaches us before the deadline that applies to your situation:
- Dutch students: August 1st
Start date program: September 1
c) Follow the procedure for national applicants
Step 1: Submit an online application for admission
You need permission from the Admissions Committee before you can enroll for this program. A request for admission preceeds an enrollment. So even if you are still in doubt we strongly advise you to advance and apply for admission.
To submit a request for admission, you need the following (digital) documents:
- A copy of your diploma (s) under which you are applying for admission.
- An overview of the subjects of the study results.
- A brief curriculum vitae.
- A copy of the passport page with your personal data or a copy of your ID card (front and back).
Step 2: Admission Committee's decision
The Admissions Committee will assess the complete application packages after application. The entire assessment procedure will take maximally up to 6 weeks after the submission, but we will strive to address the application within 3 weeks.
You will receive an email and a letter stating the outcome of your admission request.
There are three possibilities:
- A. (Conditionally) accepted
If you are conditionally accepted, this means that you are admitted to our program, provided that you send the originals or certified copies of your documents.
Note: it is possible that you do not completely fulfill the requirements. Deficiencies can sometimes be addressed as mandatory courses in the elective space of the Master's program. The admissions committee will decide if there are any of such deficiencies/mandatory electives. These will be included in your letter.
- B. (Conditionally) accepted to a Pre-Master's program
It is possible that you do not completely fulfill the requirements. If this is the case, we may offer you a Pre-Master's program to prepare you for the Master's program of your choice.
- C. Rejected
If you do not fulfill the admission requirements, your application will be rejected. We will e-mail you personally the reasons for the rejection.
Once you decide to accept the offer, you should send all the certified hard copies of the required documents
After receiving the original/certified copies of your documents, the Admissions Officer will proceed the (relevant) application, administration and immigration procedures.
Step 3: Enroll via Studielink
All applicants accepted for this program are required to register via Studielink, the Dutch national database for higher education
You will be given more specific information in your acceptance letter regarding the procedure.
- It is expected to take an additional month to register the program as a two-year MSc program. This is just a formality. So in order to open up registration as soon as possible, the program will be registered as a one-year Master's program at first.
- It is therefore important to be aware that the Master Data Science and Entrepreneurship will be a two-year master's program. You will only qualify for a master's degree once you have completed the full program of 120 ECTS. Students registering within this period are not required to take any additional action.
You need to register before the official start of the program, but we strongly advise you to register in Studielink as soon as possible after your admission.
- You will not receive information about other procedures after your admission (such as the visa procedure) until you have registered in Studielink.
- Please note: it is not sufficient to apply only via Studielink. If you do not apply according to the procedure above, you will not be accepted for the program and will not be able to come to Tilburg University.
- The name of the Master's program in Studielink is: (Joint) Master Data science and entrepreneurship.
- Make sure that you use the same email address in Studielink as the email address you registered with in Tilburg University's online application system.
Step 4: Confirm your enrollment
Confirm your registration at Tilburg University
After your registration in Studielink, you will be notified by Tilburg University and need to confirm this registration before you can start with the program.
Do you have any questions?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website.