Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
Gain a deep understanding of human cognition and artificial intelligence to research and develop innovative solutions and applications. This 2-year Master's program combines knowledge of cognitive science and artificial intelligence with techniques such as advanced deep learning, deep reinforcement learning and Bayesian modeling. You will investigate various aspects of intelligence, such as reasoning, learning, perception, communication and collaboration from both a human perspective and a machine perspective.
Program and courses
- You will study artificial intelligence in relation to human cognition rather than from a purely engineering perspective. This program prepares you not just to contribute to the development of technological applications, but also to reflect on your implementation from the cognitive, neuro-scientific, and ethical perspectives.
- Experts in the domains of artificial intelligence, cognitive science and data science will teach you the necessary technical skills to create and test models of intelligent behavior.
- Within the domain of AI we focus mainly on the domains of computational cognition, hybrid intelligence and human-AI interfacing.
- Core principle of the program is learning by doing: part of the lectures take place in the lab facilities of Mindlabs, a set of labs for research related to: robotics and avatars, serious games, natural language and data technologies, and virtual and mixed reality. From the start of your studies you are encouraged to contribute to faculty’s research as a research assistant.
Typical courses are:
- Core topics in Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Advanced Deep Learning
- Core topics in Cognitive Science
- Complex Systems
- Brain Computer Interfacing
Graduates have excellent job prospects. There is a great demand for graduates with academic knowledge and skills related to AI worldwide.
Knowledge and skills in the field of AI are of great value to, for instance, e-services, virtual intelligent assistants in healthcare, training/education, governance, smart design, smart industry, computer aided decision-making and consumer intelligence.
Some career options:
- Intelligent software developer
- Social robot developer
- Technology consultant
- AI Researcher
Application and admission
This program starts
At the end of August.
Best preparatory programs
- a Tilburg University Bachelor’s degree in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence.
- a Bachelor’s degree in Artificial Intelligence from Radboud University, Utrecht University, Maastricht University, University of Groningen, VU Amsterdam, or University of Amsterdam (KION members).
- a Bachelor's degree in Data Science from Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology.
- a Bachelor’s degree from a Research University in Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, or a related program that provided you with: a sufficient mathematics background; a broad knowledge of AI techniques; sufficient programming experience; and demonstrable basic-level knowledge in disciplines such as cognitive science, cognitive neuroscience, cognitive psychology, psycholinguistics, or similar.
Unfortunately unavailable for either Research University students or students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Interested in the MSc Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application