Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
Gain a deep understanding of human cognition and artificial intelligence to research and develop innovative solutions and applications. This 2-year Master's program combines knowledge of cognitive science and artificial intelligence with techniques such as advanced deep learning, deep reinforcement learning and Bayesian modeling. You will investigate various aspects of intelligence, such as reasoning, learning, perception, communication and collaboration from both the human perspective and the machine perspective.
Please note: The program is not accredited yet. We are currently awaiting the results of our application for accreditation, preparing the program to launch in August 2020. We can keep you informed as soon as accreditation is confirmed and we have more information.
Program and courses
Become an expert in the field of communication and collaboration from both the human perspective (cognitive science) and the machine perspective (artificial intelligence).
- You will study artificial intelligence in relation to human cognition rather than from a purely engineering perspective. This program prepares you not just to contribute to the development of technological applications, but also to reflect on your implementation from the cognitive, neuro-scientific, and ethical perspectives.
- Experts in the domains of artificial intelligence, cognitive science and data science will teach you the necessary technical skills to create and test models of intelligent behavior.
- Within the domain of AI we focus mainly on the domains of computational cognition, hybrid intelligence and human-AI interfacing.
- Core principle of the program is learn by doing: part of the lectures take place in the lab facilities of Mindlabs, a set of labs for research related to: robotics and avatars, serious games, natural language and data technologies, and virtual and mixed reality. From the start of your studies you are encouraged to contribute to faculty’s research as a research assistant.
Typical courses are:
- Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Complex Systems
- Brain Computer Interfacing
Graduates have excellent job prospects. There is a great demand for graduates with academic knowledge and skills related to AI worldwide.
For instance, for e-services, virtual intelligent assistants in healthcare, training/education, education, governance, smart design, smart industry, computer aided decision-making and consumer intelligence.
Some career options:
- IT Consultant
- Machine Learning / AI / Software Engineer
- PhD researcher
Application and admission
Application opens as soon as accreditation is granted by the NVAO.
In such case, the program will start at the end of August 2020.
And the application deadline will then be:
- for non-EU/non-EEA graduates: April 1st
- For EU/EEA applicants: July 1st
Best preparatory programs
This program is open to Dutch and international students with:
- a Tilburg University Bachelor’s degree in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence.
- a Bachelor’s degree in Artificial Intelligence from Radboud University, Utrecht University, Maastricht University, University of Groningen or the Free University/University of Amsterdam (KION members).
- a Bachelor's degree in Data Science from Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology.
- a Bachelor’s degree from a Research University in Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science or a related program that provided you with:
- a sufficient mathematics background (calculus, linear algebra and statistics; +/- 18 EC or more in total);
- a broad knowledge of AI techniques (logic, data mining and machine learning; +/- 18 EC or more in total);
- sufficient programming experience in Python (at least 12 EC) and other AI programming languages;
- demonstrable basic-level knowledge (at least 5 EC) in disciplines such as cognitive science, cognitive neuroscience, cognitive psychology, psycholinguistics or similar.
Unfortunately unavailable for either Research University students or students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees have not been confirmed yet. Please check back here regularly. International students find information on scholarships here.
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Interested in the MSc Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence?
The program is not accredited yet. We are currently awaiting the results of our application for accreditation, preparing the program to launch in August 2020. We can keep you informed as soon as accreditation is confirmed and we have more information.