Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
Gain a deep understanding of human cognition and artificial intelligence to research and develop innovative solutions and applications. This 2-year Master's program combines knowledge of cognitive science and artificial intelligence with techniques such as advanced deep learning, deep reinforcement learning and Bayesian modeling. You will investigate various aspects of intelligence, such as reasoning, learning, perception, communication and collaboration from both a human perspective and a machine perspective.
Education as of September 2022
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
- You will study artificial intelligence in relation to human cognition rather than from a purely engineering perspective. This program prepares you not just to contribute to the development of technological applications, but also to reflect on your implementation from the cognitive, neuro-scientific, and ethical perspectives.
- Experts in the domains of artificial intelligence, cognitive science and data science will teach you the necessary technical skills to create and test models of intelligent behavior.
- Within the domain of AI we focus mainly on the domains of computational cognition, hybrid intelligence and human-AI interfacing.
- Core principle of the program is learning by doing: part of the lectures take place in the lab facilities of Mindlabs, a set of labs for research related to: robotics and avatars, serious games, natural language and data technologies, and virtual and mixed reality. From the start of your studies you are encouraged to contribute to faculty’s research as a research assistant.
Typical courses are:
- Core Topics in Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Advanced Deep Learning
- Core Topics in Cognitive Science
- Complex Systems
- Brain Computer Interfacing
- Big Data Analytics
Graduates have excellent job prospects. There is a great demand for graduates with academic knowledge and skills related to AI worldwide.
Knowledge and skills in the field of AI are of great value to, for instance, e-services, virtual intelligent assistants in healthcare, training/education, governance, smart design, smart industry, computer aided decision-making and consumer intelligence.
Some career options:
- Intelligent software developer
- Social robot developer
- Technology consultant
- AI Researcher
- Software developer or architect
- Business Intelligence specialist
Application and admission
This program starts
At the end of August.
Best preparatory programs
- a Tilburg University Bachelor’s degree in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence.
- a Bachelor’s degree in Artificial Intelligence from Radboud University, Utrecht University, Maastricht University, University of Groningen, VU Amsterdam, or University of Amsterdam (KION members).
- a Bachelor's degree in Data Science from Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology.
- a Bachelor’s degree from a Research University in Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, or a related program that provided you with: a sufficient mathematics background; a broad knowledge of AI techniques; sufficient programming experience in Python or other AI programming languages; and demonstrable basic-level knowledge in disciplines such as cognitive science, cognitive neuroscience, cognitive psychology, psycholinguistics, or similar.
Unfortunately unavailable for either Research University students or students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
To be announced
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the MSc Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application