Data Science BSc
The joint Bachelor's program in Data Science is about creating value from data. You learn how to analyze the large amounts of data that today's society operates on. You will learn how to discover trends and patterns that are relevant for businesses, government agencies or nonprofit organizations. The program does not only focus on the technical side, but also on the legal, social, ethical and business aspects relating to Data Science. This multidisciplinary approach makes the program unique in its kind.
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology
(several options available)
solving real problems from real clients using real data
Short overview of BSc Data Science
Program and courses
This joint bachelor brings together the best of two universities; Tilburg University's expertise in Econometrics, Business Administration and Law is combined with Eindhoven University of Technology's expertise in Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering. Both universities add their expertise in Artificial Intelligence and Statistics. You will be taking courses at both universities.
- In the first year, you are introduced to the various Data Science core fields, like computer science and data analytics. You develop a mathematical base which you will build on during the rest of your studies. And you will also learn more about the main application domains and the broader social and economic setting of data science developments. You will explore the important area of law and ethics to become a responsible data scientist.
- In the second year, you study the legal, mathematical, statistical, technical and business aspects of data research more in-depth. You determine part of your program yourself by selecting elective modules, which allows you to tailor your own program.
- Entrepreneurship plays a greater role in the third year, which features courses such as Business Insights and Networks & Data-Driven Business Creation. There is a more extensive choice of electives. You complete the Bachelor’s program with a Bachelor's thesis.
Typical courses are:
- Data Challenges
Learn how to set up, execute, and evaluate scientifically sound data analyses, solving real problems from real clients using real data (i.e., users, enterprise, and society).
Learn algorithmic techniques and the principles of code quality and apply these in writing programs and designing algorithms to analyze and visualize large datasets.
- Statistical computing
Computational Statistics is the branch of statistics that heavily relies on Computer Science for dealing with very complex challenges. You will learn how you can use computer simulations to predict the outcomes of different strategies in a complex situation.
Why this Bachelor's program in Tilburg and Eindhoven?
Study Data Science in Tilburg and Eindhoven
This joint bachelor brings together the best of two universities; Tilburg University's expertise in Econometrics, Business Administration and Law is combined with Eindhoven University of Technology's expertise in Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering. Both universities add their expertise in Artificial Intelligence and Statistics.
Data Science can only be exploited to its fullest potential by approaching it from multiple disciplines simultaneously. This multidisciplinary character makes our data science program unique in its kind.
Data science will only be growing in importance, given the staggering growth of data every second of every day, and will give you great career opportunities.
A team of professionals is available to help you to get the best out of yourself and your studies, so you are well prepared for your future career.
A short impression of Data Science (video - 2:35 min)
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Are you looking for an additional challenge? Your studies give you ample opportunity to develop personally and professionally.
- You can also join the program’s study association, D.S.A. Pattern.
- Ambitious students in this Joint Bachelor’s program are eligible for the honors programs of both universities.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Data Science, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects as a Data Scientist.
Graduates found work at ABN AMRO Bank N.V., VodafoneZiggo, or started their own company.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
More information on the tuition fees and rates
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
Other Bachelor's programs you might like
Related Bachelor's programs
- In line with using mathematics and statistics to optimize complex processes, and applying your analytical skills to tackle economic, societal, and organizational challenges, Econometrics and Operations Research may be of interest to you.
- Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence could also be a fit if you are interested in studying how intelligent systems work and in linking this to knowledge about the functioning of the human brain.
Do you want more information on this Bachelor's program?
"When talking to some friends about their universities, I discovered the Bachelor's of Data Science and fell in love with it. After that, it did not take me a long time to decide. Data Science is the future."
"I participated in the datathon because I wanted to see if and how we could make an impact with data science. Could we use data science to help a hospital make well informed decisions?"
"Data Science is an amazing study because you learn various courses covering wide range of information, and with this knowledge you have great freedom of choice in anything!"
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
09:15 - 17:00
Bachelor's Open day
Do you want to know which Bachelor's program suits you best? Sign up for the Bachelor’s Open day on Saturday, October 28. Get to know more about our international Bachelor's programs and ask our students, teachers and study advisors all your questions. You can join our Open day on campus or online!
To be announced
Student for a day Bachelor's programs
Do you have a specific study program in mind or are you still considering various options? Join one or more of our Student for a day event(s) this fall, 2023. Together with our students you can attend a variety of mini-lectures and discover whether the study program suits you.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Create your personalized brochure
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Data Science a match? If you...
have a passion for the interaction between people and technology
are ready to become a first mover in interdisciplinary data science education
are you good with math
Then this is the program for you!