Data Science BSc
Data Science is about creating value from data. Learn to analyze the large amounts of data that today’s society operates on. Discover trends and patterns that are relevant for businesses, government agencies, or nonprofit organizations. This program not only focuses on the technical side, but also on the legal, social, ethical, and business aspects of Data Science. This multidisciplinary approach makes the program unique. Data Science is offered jointly by Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology.
Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology
(several options available)
solving real problems from real clients using real data
Short overview of Data Science
- This joint program brings together the best of two universities; Tilburg University's expertise in Econometrics, Business Administration & Law and Eindhoven University of Technology's expertise in Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering.
- Cover apart from technical aspects the legal, social, ethical, and business sides of Data Science. This multidisciplinary character makes the program unique.
- Great career opportunities as data science continues to grow in importance.
Program and courses
This joint bachelor brings together the best of two universities; Tilburg University's expertise in Econometrics, Business Administration and Law is combined with Eindhoven University of Technology's expertise in Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering. Both universities add their expertise in Artificial Intelligence and Statistics. You will be taking courses at both universities.
- In the first year, you are introduced to the various Data Science core fields, like computer science and data analytics. You develop a mathematical base which you will build on during the rest of your studies. You will also learn more about the main application domains and the broader social and economic setting of data science developments. You will explore the important area of law and ethics to become a responsible data scientist.
- In the second year, you study the legal, mathematical, statistical, technical and business aspects of data research more in-depth. You determine part of your program yourself by selecting elective modules, which allows you to tailor your own program.
- Entrepreneurship plays a greater role in the third year, which features courses such as Business Insights and Networks & Data-Driven Business Creation. There is a more extensive choice of electives. You complete the Bachelor’s program with a Bachelor's thesis.
Typical courses are:
- Data Challenges
Learn how to set up, execute, and evaluate scientifically sound data analyses, solving real problems from real clients using real data (i.e., users, enterprise, and society).
Learn algorithmic techniques and the principles of code quality and apply these in writing programs and designing algorithms to analyze and visualize large datasets.
- Statistical Computing
Computational Statistics is the branch of statistics that heavily relies on Computer Science for dealing with very complex challenges. You will learn how you can use computer simulations to predict the outcomes of different strategies in a complex situation.
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Are you looking for an additional challenge? Your studies give you ample opportunity to develop personally and professionally.
- You can also join the program’s study association, D.S.A. Pattern.
- Ambitious students in this Joint Bachelor’s program are eligible for the honors programs of both universities.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Data Science, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects as a Data Scientist.
Graduates found work at ABN AMRO Bank N.V., VodafoneZiggo, or started their own company.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|Starting from € 550 per month
|Foods & Drinks
|€ 200 per month
|Books & Readers
|€ 65 per month
|€ 100 per month
|+ € 139.95 per year
The Bachelor's program in less than 3 minutes
"When talking to some friends about their universities, I discovered the Bachelor's of Data Science and fell in love with it. After that, it did not take me a long time to decide. Data Science is the future."
"I participated in the datathon because I wanted to see if and how we could make an impact with data science. Could we use data science to help a hospital make well informed decisions?"
"Tilburg's social expertise and Eindhoven's technical knowledge make sure all different aspects of Data Science are covered in this program. This causes the program to be very diverse and it therefore matches all my interests."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
09:30 - 16:15
Bachelor's Open day
Find out everything about studying in Tilburg in the Netherlands during the Bachelor's Open day on March 2. Check out our offer of international Bachelor's programs and talk to students, teachers and study advisors.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The webinar takes place from 10:00 until 11:00 CET.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on April 3 or May 8! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
All information in one e-brochure
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg.
Related Bachelor's programs
Are you and Data Science a match? If you...
have a passion for the interaction between people and technology
are ready to become a first mover in interdisciplinary data science education
are you good with math
Then this is the program for you!