Data Science: Business and Governance
Meet the growing need for employees with analytical data science skills, as well as applicable knowledge regarding the business and governance aspects. You will gain expertise in the area of data analysis and data mining, but also in economic, management, and legal perspectives on big data.
Source: National Student Survey, 2017 | n=28
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=35
National Alumni Survey, 2016 | n=35
Program and courses
The Data Science: Business and Governance track of the MSc Communication and Information sciences provides a combination of courses in methods of analysis, economics and management, as well as legal, and ethical perspectives on big data that is unique in Europe.
- Become a 'linking pin' between programmers and higher management to advise on
- how to collect, analyze, interpret and visualize data.
- how to use big data analyses to generate new business opportunities.
- how to make sure that data science applications comply ethics, regulations, and laws.
- A well-balanced mixture of theoretical and practical (elective) courses. You will work with fellow students on real-world 'Data Challenges', guided by experts in their fields.
Typical courses are:
- Analytics for Business and Governance
- Data Science Regulation and Law
- Data Processing
- Statistical Programming with R
Data Science: Business and Governance graduates will have expertise in the area of data analysis and data mining, but also in the economic, management, and legal perspectives on big data. With these skills you are well equipped to advise on how to collect, manage, analyze, and interpret data; as well as on how to maximally benefit from the data available in compliance with laws and regulations.
Graduates work or start for example as:
- Data Scientist at ABN Amro Bank N.V.
- Data Science & Business Intelligence Consultant at Incentro
- Data Scientist at Eneco
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.5
- Finds a job within 6 months after graduation: 89%
- Gross monthly income one year after graduation: EUR 2,310
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August and End of January (both the Master’s and the Pre-Master’s program)
Best preparatory programs:
Preferably, you have a Bachelor's/Master’s degree in a discipline such as:
- Communication Studies, Communication and Information Sciences, Cognitive Science, Online marketing, Linguistics/Modern Languages
- Public Administration, Global Law
- International Business Administration, Economics, Organization Studies
- Psychology, Sociology, Liberal Arts and Sciences (major Business or Social Sciences)
- Business informatics, Computer and Information Sciences
The academic background of the students in our Master's program varies a lot. Students with a Bachelor's degree in a different subject area are also most welcome to apply.
Available for both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees academic year 2018-2019
|€ 2,060*||€ 11,000|
* The EU rate only applies if you enroll for the program without a Master's degree from a Dutch university. More information about the tuition fees and scholarships available for international students.
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
To be announced
Trial lectures Master's programs Tilburg University
Are you interested in one of our Master's programs and do you want to experience what it's like to follow this program at Tilburg University? Then follow a trial lecture of the Master's program of your choice! You can follow a trial lecture from November 1st until December 31st 2018.
10:00 - 14:45
Open day Master's programs
The Open day on Saturday 17 November 2018 offers you the opportunity to get acquainted with our English taught (Pre-)Master's programs and Research Masters, get a taste of the atmosphere at our campus and speak with current students, lecturers and academic advisors.
Interested in the MSc Data Science: Business and Governance?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application