Study how developments and opinions regarding health, medicine and healthcare are reflected in cultural practices in society from an interdisciplinary humanities perspective. This program will enable you to critically analyze current healthcare and contribute to its improvement. This is a track of MA Culture Studies.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
Program and courses
Study how developments and opinions regarding health, medicine and healthcare are reflected in cultural practices in society. And learn how cultural norms, diversity, technological developments and the online world shape these developments and opinions.
- Critically evaluate various types of knowledge production in contemporary health and medicine using various types of research and methodologies.
- Develop the ability to think critically about past and present events and experiences in relation to medicine.
- Relate concepts of health and medical sciences and practices to questions of public debate and concern.
- Connect theory with practice through an internship (optional) and by attending guest lectures from professionals.
- Learn how to write scientific articles based on academic content which will be published in Diggit Magazine, an online news platform about digital culture, globalization, and arts.
This is a track of MA Culture Studies. You specialize by following one of its tracks.
Typical courses are:
- Cultural practices of knowledge production in health and medicine
- Online Health Practices
- The Normal and the Abnormal
- Diversity and Equity in Health and Medicine
Marieke HendriksMaster's student
"I get a lot of different insights on health (both mental and physical) and disease. The multidisciplinary approach of the program is what makes it challenging and interesting."
Upon graduating you will have obtained the following title (as stated on your diploma): MA Culture Studies, specialization Health Humanities.
Health Humanities prepares you for a career in health (care) journalism, policymaking, administration, consultancy, management, education, communication and counselling in the field of health and healthcare.
An (optional) internship gives you the opportunity to put your knowledge into practice, and a preview of possible future professions. The experience will enhance your position in the labor market.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Culture Studies, Philosophy, Literature, Science and Technology Studies, Anthropology, History, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Religious Studies, Medicine.
- The academic background of the students in our Master's program varies a lot. Students with a Bachelor's degree in a different subject area are also most welcome to apply.
Open to both Research University students and students of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Interested in the Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
10:00 - 16:00
Tilburg University Today Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Tilburg University Today Live Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. From September until December, we organize these webinars frequently.
12:00 - 16:00
Online Master's Open day
Which master do you think is interesting? Or do you want to know which master suits you? Then sign up for the Online Master’s Open day on Saturday, November 14.
Interested in MSc Health Humanities?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application