International Law and Global Governance (LLM)
International Law is extending forcefully into our everyday politics, economics, and societies - having an impact on international organizations, regimes, tribunals, courts, corporations, NGOs and, even, terrorist threats. The curriculum of this LLM provides expertise across the three core areas of international law: 1) International Law and International Relations; 2) Human Rights and Human Security; and 3) Global Sustainability and Environmental Law. You can tailor your specialization(s) to match your career aims. This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM).
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
Program and courses
Gain the legal, analytical, and argumentation skills to get prepared for a wide variety of career paths in professional practice, government, international advocacy, international courts and tribunals, international organizations, multinational consultancies, and journalism.
- The courses are structured as a three-pillar legal order roughly captured by three categories:
(1) International Law and International Relations
(2) Human Rights and Human Security
(3) Global Sustainability and Environmental Law
- The program has an interdisciplinary approach and law-in-context focus: not only will learn about relevant treaties and landmark cases, but also about how political institutions, economic actors, and civil society shape the way in which laws are produced and applied at the international level.
- All teachers are highly qualified and enthusiastic academics with additional expertise emanating from their connections to international legal practice. The latest research is continuously fed into learning, so you are confronted with topics and ideas from the forefront of (meta-)legal research.
This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM). You specialize by following one of its tracks. Degree upon graduation: Master in Law (LLM) in International and European Law.
Typical courses are:
- Public International Law: Continuity and Transformation
- Global Trade and Development Law
- Human Rights and Globalization
Lotte KagenaarMaster's student
"The diversity of courses as well as the different nationalities within this program allow you to really 'learn through diversity'. This provides interesting discussions within the classroom, but also is the first stepping stone towards any career in a globalized world."
Marta MansanetPolicy Officer at the European Committee of the Regions
"We got the opportunity to design our own learning program and I decided to focus on environmental, climate change law and sustainability. The program is not completely theoretical, but aims to provide an analytical and practical perspective of current challenges at a global level."
Maurits OskamFirst Secretary Political Affairs and Human Rights at Netherlands Representative Office to the Palestinian Authority
"Many people working in diplomacy have a political background. My legal mindset gives me an edge and allows me to have specific added value."
As a Master of Laws with a specialization in international law and global governance, you are well prepared for a career in national and/or international law firms, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, diplomacy, international courts or tribunals, multinational enterprises and consultancies, think-tanks, and in journalism.
Some of our graduates' jobs:
- Decision Maker at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
- Senior Governance, Risk and Compliance Consultant at Deloitte
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3.04
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.665,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n = 76
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Political Sciences
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in International Relations
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree . The one-year Pre-Master’s program (60 ECTS) starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the LLM International Law and Global Governance?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application