International Law and Global Governance (LLM)
International Law is extending forcefully into our everyday politics, economics, and societies - having an impact on international organizations, regimes, tribunals, courts, corporations, NGOs and, even, terrorist threats. The curriculum of this LLM provides expertise across the three core areas of international law: 1) International Law and International Relations; 2) Human Rights and Human Security; and 3) Global Sustainability and Environmental Law. You can tailor your specialization(s) to match your career aims. This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM).
National Student Survey, 2018 | n=29
Social Science Research Network Ranking (SSRN, April 2019)
Times Higher Education Ranking 2019
Program and courses
Gain the legal, analytical, and argumentation skills to get prepared for a wide variety of career paths in professional practice, government, international advocacy, international courts and tribunals, international organizations, multinational consultancies, and journalism.
- The courses are structured as a three-pillar legal order roughly captured by three categories:
- International Law and International Relations
- Human Rights and Human Security
- Global Sustainability and Environmental Law
- The program has an interdisciplinary approach and law-in-context focus, with a team of instructors providing expertise across International Law, International Relations, International Human Rights, International Development, International Environmental Law, International Legal History, International Trade, and Legal Philosophy.
- All teachers are highly qualified and enthusiastic academics with additional expertise emanating from their connections to international legal practice. The latest research is continuously fed into learning, so you are confronted with topics and ideas from the forefront of (meta-)legal research.
This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM). You specialize by following one of its tracks. Degree upon graduation: Master in Law (LLM) in International and European Law.
Typical courses are:
- Public International Law: Continuity and Transformation
- Global Trade and Development Law
- Human Rights, Globalization and the Role of the Individual in International Law
- Climate Change Law
Jasper van BeurdenAlumnus
"I loved the diversity of subjects, which really allows you to create a program that is fit for you."
Maurits OskamFirst Secretary Political Affairs and Human Rights at Netherlands Representative Office to the Palestinian Authority
"Many people working in diplomacy have a political background. My legal mindset gives me an edge and allows me to have specific added value."
As a Master of Laws with a specialization in international law and global governance, you are well prepared for a career in national and/or international law firms, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, diplomacy, international courts or tribunals, multinational enterprises and consultancies, think-tanks, and in journalism.
Some of our graduates' jobs:
- Researcher at The Hague Institute for Global Justice
- Decision Maker at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
- Senior Governance, Risk and Compliance Consultant at Deloitte
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.86
- Employer requires an academic Master’s degree: 68%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2.468,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2018 | n = 118
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Political Sciences
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in International Relations
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a HBO Recht Bachelor’s degree . The one-year Pre-Master’s program (60 ECTS) starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us with your personal queries. You can contact us through the blue button on every page of the Master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Study choice events
Interested in the LLM International Law and Global Governance?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application