International Law and Global Governance (LLM)
The scope of transnational business, migration and boundary treats have changed and affect our human rights, democracy and the rule of law. The tools we relied up on to tackle international issues were based on concrete boarders and actions of states. Today, we have to deal with the informal rules and systems that rule our world, like soft law, guidelines, and nonbinding agreements. That is why this program focusses on international law ànd global governance. This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM).
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
- International Law and International Relations
- Human Rights and Human Security
- Global Sustainability and Environmental Law
National Student Survey, 2022 | n=36
Program and courses
Gain the legal, analytical, and argumentation skills to get prepared for a wide variety of career paths in professional practice, government, international advocacy, international courts and tribunals, international organizations, multinational consultancies, and journalism.
- The courses are structured as a three-pillar legal order captured by three categories:
(1) International Law and International Relations
(2) Human Rights and Human Security
(3) Global Sustainability and Environmental Law
- With the electives, you can tailor your specialization(s) to match your career aims.
- Interdisciplinary approach and law-in-context focus: you will learn about relevant treaties and landmark cases, and also about how political institutions, economic actors, and civil society shape the way in which laws are produced and applied at the international level.
- All teachers are highly qualified and enthusiastic academics with additional expertise emanating from their connections to international legal practice. The latest developments and insights are continuously fed into learning, so you are confronted with topics and ideas from the forefront.
- Guest speakers on a number of areas offer you the opportunity to network outside Tilburg University during your studies.
This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM). You specialize by following one of its tracks. Degree upon graduation: Master in Law (LLM) in International and European Law.
Typical courses are:
- Public International Law: Continuity and Transformation
- Global Trade and Development Law
- Human Rights and Globalization
Lotte KagenaarMaster's student
"The diversity of courses as well as the different nationalities within this program allow you to really 'learn through diversity'. This provides interesting discussions within the classroom, but also is the first stepping stone towards any career in a globalized world."
Marta MansanetPolicy Officer at the European Committee of the Regions
"We got the opportunity to design our own learning program and I decided to focus on environmental, climate change law and sustainability. The program is not completely theoretical, but aims to provide an analytical and practical perspective of current challenges at a global level."
Maurits OskamFirst Secretary Political Affairs and Human Rights at Netherlands Representative Office to the Palestinian Authority
"Many people working in diplomacy have a political background. My legal mindset gives me an edge and allows me to have specific added value."
As a Master of Laws with a specialization in international law and global governance, you are well prepared for a career in national and/or international law firms, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, diplomacy, international courts or tribunals, multinational enterprises and consultancies, think-tanks, and in journalism.
Some of our graduates' jobs:
- Decision Maker at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
- Senior Governance, Risk and Compliance Consultant at Deloitte
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 3.013,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2022 | n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Political Sciences/Politics
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in International Relations
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in European Studies
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences (major in Law)
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a hbo Recht Bachelor’s degree . The one-year Pre-Master’s program (60 ECTS) starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
10:00 - 11:00
Admission and Application - Live webinar for Master’s programs
If you are interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join this webinar!
Interested in the LLM International Law and Global Governance?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application