International Law and Global Governance (LLM)
Learn to navigate a world in which rules and systems of governance are becoming increasingly informal and transnational. Gain a versatile and focused view on international law and global governance by investigating the impact of transnational business, migration, and global security on human rights, sustainability and environmental law, and international law and relations. International Law and Global Governance is a track of the Master’s International and European Law (LLM).
- International Law and International Relations
- Human Rights and Human Security
- Global Sustainability and Environmental Law
Elsevier Beste Studies (2023)
Program and courses
In this program, you gain expertise in three main areas of study; international law and international relations, human rights and human security, and global sustainability and environmental law. Apart from this three pillar legal order, you can tailor your specialization(s) to match your career goals.
- With the electives, you can tailor your specialization(s) to match your career goals.
- The program offers an interdisciplinary approach and a law-in-context focus. This means you will learn about relevant treaties and landmark cases, and how political institutions, economic actors, and civil society shape the ways in which laws are produced and applied at the international level.
- All teachers are highly qualified and enthusiastic academics with additional expertise emanating from their connections to international legal practice. The latest developments and insights are continuously fed into learning, so you are confronted with topics and ideas from the real world.
- Guest speakers on a number of areas offer you the opportunity to network outside Tilburg University during your studies.
This is a track of the Master's program International and European Law (LLM). You specialize by following one of its tracks. Degree upon graduation: Master in Law (LLM) in International and European Law.
Typical courses are:
- Public International Law: Continuity and Transformation
- Global Trade and Development Law
- Human Rights and Globalization
"The diversity of courses as well as the different nationalities within this program allow you to really 'learn through diversity'. This provides interesting discussions within the classroom, but also is the first stepping stone towards any career in a globalized world."
Marta MansanetPolicy Officer at the European Committee of the Regions
"We got the opportunity to design our own learning program and I decided to focus on environmental, climate change law and sustainability. The program is not completely theoretical, but aims to provide an analytical and practical perspective of current challenges at a global level."
Maurits OskamFirst Secretary Political Affairs and Human Rights at Netherlands Representative Office to the Palestinian Authority
"Many people working in diplomacy have a political background. My legal mindset gives me an edge and allows me to have specific added value."
As a Master of Laws with a specialization in international law and global governance, you are well prepared for a career in national and international law firms, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, diplomacy, international courts or tribunals, multinational enterprises and consultancies, think-tanks, and in journalism.
Examples of graduates' jobs
- Decision Maker at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
- Senior Governance, Risk and Compliance Consultant at Deloitte
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 3,013.-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2022 | n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts
at the end of August and the end of January.
Best preparatory programs
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Political Sciences/Politics
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in International Relations
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in European Studies
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences (major in Law)
Available, but only in Dutch and for students with a hbo Recht Bachelor’s degree . The one-year pre-Master’s program (60 ECTS) starts end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Application and Admission - Webinar for Master’s programs
Are you interested in a Master’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Master’s programs. You can join the webinar at 10:00 or 16:00 on December 1.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The next Orientation Webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
Interested in the LLM International Law and Global Governance?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application