Program and courses Sociology
Focus on politics, policy and society in a comparative perspective. Translate social problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity), and learn to evaluate and derive policy from the results.
This one-year master's program consists of 60 credits (ECTS):
- 5 core courses (36 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (24 ECTS)
You can start either at the end of August or at the end of January.
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Please Note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in Osiris Student at the start of the year.
Extend your master with a junior traineeship
Sociology Master's students can also apply for the Extended Master Sociology, which adds a junior traineeship of 30 ECTS (half a year) to the regular master's program.
Through a junior traineeship at a partner organization, the extended master provides relevant working experience and learning opportunities to enhance your professional and academic skills.
Short overview of Sociology
- Taught in small, interactive workgroups with excellent individual thesis supervision.
- A chance to enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience by doing an extended master. This additional semester to the total program provides you with a half-year traineeship position.
- An opportunity to earn a degree from both Tilburg University and one of our
partner universities with a double degree program:
- Double degree in Sociology and Social Research: Tilburg University and University of Trento (Trento, Italy)
- Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies: Tilburg University and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain)
- Double degree in Sociology: Tilburg University and University of Bamberg (Bamberg, Germany)
- The Politics, Policy and Societal Development track gives you a different perspective on sustainable development based on the theories and methods pertinent to the Global Management of Social Issues discipline. This specialization addresses societal issues and sustainable development from a sociological perspective.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. With a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will learn to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
Interested in the MSc Sociology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related master's programs:
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree with University of Trento, Italy)
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree with UPF Barcelona, Spain)
- Sociology: Bamberg – Tilburg (Double degree with University of Bamberg, Germany)
- Health, Wellbeing and Society track
- Politics, Policy and Societal Development track
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences