Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
Become a research expert on individual behavior in different social contexts, such as organizations, peers, and societies. You will study the central theme 'individuals in social contexts' through four different disciplinary lenses, with one track as your specialization: Social Psychology, Organization Studies, Sociology, or Methods and Statistics. The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences is an excellent preparation for a PhD program.
Program and courses
Acquire extensive knowledge and research skills in the social and behavioral sciences, and study the central theme: individuals in social contexts from various perspectives.
- This Research Master is unique in the Netherlands.
- A thorough methodological and statistical education from renowned national and international academics, preparing you for job opportunities in science, such as PhD positions or applied research. But also for analytical and research-intensive jobs outside academia, like consulting, or marketing.
- Benefit from small-scale and interactive education with individual guidance. You will be part of an ambitious and international group of students with no more than 30 students in a class, from different academic and cultural backgrounds.
- Personalize your educational experience by choosing one of the four tracks, selecting your own supervisors, research topics, and internal and international traineeships based on your personal interests and learning goals.
- Apply your knowledge and research skills by participating in four in-house research traineeships and 1 international research traineeship and write two scientific papers as part of the curriculum.
Specialize in your research area of interest with a track in:
Typical courses are:
- Multivariate Analysis
- Structural Equation Modelling and the Analysis of Longitudinal Data
- Foundations of Social Psychology / Sociology / Organization Studies / Methodology and Statistics
- Research Integrity and Ethics
Jenna BarretMaster's student
"Overall, I think the program is challenging, but this also enables you to learn and develop many new skills, that will be beneficial for your future (career in) research."
Magdalena KotekPhD Student
"The program provides a profound statistical basis upon which we can build and individualize our curriculum with the track courses, traineeships, First Year Paper and Master Thesis."
Anya TonneAnalytics Consultant at Cmotions
“The small class sizes provided us with the opportunity to explore concepts in-depth and encouraged a friendly atmosphere for discussion.”
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences is an excellent preparation for a career both inside and outside academia. You become an all-round researcher who can think outside the box. Graduates have secured high-level (research) positions at universities, governments, research institutes, and consulting organizations.
As a graduate of the Research Master's program in Social and Behavioral Sciences, you have the knowledge and skills to successfully complete a PhD program at Tilburg University or another university.
Examples of our graduates' jobs:
- PhD student (Universität Tübingen, KU Leuven, Stanford University, Tilburg University)
- Data scientist at CentERdata
- HR data analyst
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3.5
- 75% of the graduates is satisfied with the Master’s program in general
- Graduates are most satisfied with the acquired academic skills within the Master's program
- 75% would choose this Master’s degree program again
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=4
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer its own pre-Master’s program. However, you can be eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences when you successfully complete one of the following pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences: pre-Master in Sociology, Organization and Management Studies or Human Resource Studies.
Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Master's Open day
Are you interested in doing a Master's program? Do you want to specialize or are you looking for a Master that broadens your possibilities? Join us at the Master's Open Day on March 23 to find out which (pre-)Master's program suits you best. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.
Related Master's programs
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Work and Organizational Psychology
- Economic Psychology
- Organization and Management Studies
- Human Resource Studies