Sociology and Social Research (Double degree)
Become an expert in political research, social policy, and solving social cohesion related-issues by combining the Sociology Master’s programs from Tilburg University and the University of Trento (Italy). Focus on political and qualitative research at the University of Trento and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research to evaluate and derive new policies at Tilburg University.
Program and courses
Get two full Master's degrees by studying at two outstanding academic institutions in Europe. You will spend your first year in Trento (Italy) and your second year in Tilburg. Become an expert in political research, social policy, and solving social cohesion-related issues, by combining the Sociology Master's programs from Tilburg University and the University of Trento. Focus on political research, social policy, and qualitative research at the University of Trento, and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research in order to evaluate current and create new policies at Tilburg University.
- You will receive small-scale, interactive education and individual thesis supervision.
- You only write one Master's thesis.
- You can choose to extend your Master's program by doing an internship which adds half a year (30 ECTS) to the program.
- Tailor the program to your own interests to create an individual, unique profile.
- At Tilburg University, you can choose one of the three tracks:
- The Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective track focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and to derive new ones.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. Through a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
- The Politics, Policy and Societal Development track gives you a different perspective on sustainable development based on theories and methods pertinent to the Global Management of Social Issues discipline. This specialization addresses societal issues and sustainable development from a sociological perspective.
Typical courses are:
- Culture and Lifestyles
- Research Methods in History
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
Angelica MaineriJunior Researcher Tilburg University
The teaching style at Tilburg University is challenging and interesting, the campus is full of facilities and the courses provide a really high-quality learning environment.
Lucilla LosiPhD Student at Aarhus University
My Double degree program has adequately prepared me for the challenges of pursuing a PhD, while the international component has been beneficial on both personal and academic levels.
The MSc Sociology Double Degree program is a broad, international-oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond. You could work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care for a wide range of employers, including government institutions, private companies and research agencies.
Examples of our graduates' first jobs:
- Policy officer
- Management trainee at Alliander
- Junior policy advisor & researcher at ARQ Knowledge Center
- 70% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation
- 82% would choose the same program again, at the same university
- 72% of the graduates is (very) satisfied with the program
Source: National Alumni Survey, recent graduates 2021 | n=11
Application and admission
This program starts:
At the end of August (in Trento, Italy).
Best preparatory programs:
Half-year (30 ECTS) pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry-level, for example, a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences. Please note that the pre-Master’s program starts in Tilburg and has two intake moments (end of August and end of January).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Application and Admission - Webinar for Master’s programs
Are you interested in a Master’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Master’s programs. You can join the webinar at 10:00 or 16:00 on December 1.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The next Orientation Webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Social Research?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree) in Barcelona, Spain
- Sociology: Bamberg - Tilburg (Double degree) in Bamberg, Germany
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Societal Development
- Health, Wellbeing and Society
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences