Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree)
Study modern societies by combining the Sociology Master’s programs from Tilburg University and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Spain). Learn how to identify the main forces and challenges faced by key social institutions in modern society, such as families, schools, communities, and jobs. Focus on sociological and demographical research at Universitat Pompeu Fabra and learn to translate societal problems into new policies at Tilburg University.
Times Higher Education Ranking, 2024
QS World University Rankings, 2023
National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n = 11
Program and courses
Get two full Master’s degrees in Sociology in 1,5 years from two outstanding academic institutions in Europe. You will spend your first year in Barcelona (Spain) and your second year in Tilburg. By combining two related subject areas with different approaches you will learn how to identify the main forces and challenges faced by key social institutions in modern society, such as families, schools, communities, and jobs. At Universitat Pompeu Fabra you will focus on sociological and demographical analyses and research while at Tilburg University you will focus on how to translate societal problems into new (healthcare) policies.
- You will get small-scale, interactive education with excellent individual thesis supervision and enthusiastic teachers
- You only write one Master's thesis.
- Enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience by doing an Extended Master's program and doing an internship (30 ECTS).
- Tailor your program to your interests and create an individual, unique profile by choosing elective courses in the first year.
- At Tilburg University, you can choose one of the two tracks:
- The track Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective, focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare, state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. With a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will learn to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
Typical courses are
- Demographic Changes and Social Dynamics
- Family, Gender and Society
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
Milou van den BemdExtended Master's student
"Studying abroad was really enriching and led me to attain two Master's degrees. After this experience, I started the extended master's with an internship at Research Institute Telos."
Sociology and Population Studies is a broad, internationally oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond. You could work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care for a wide range of employers, including government institutions, private companies, and research agencies.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Policy officer
- Management trainee at Alliander
- Junior policy advisor & researcher at ARQ Knowledge Center
- 70% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation
- 82% would choose the same program again, at the same university
- 72% of the graduates is (very) satisfied with the program
Source: National Alumni Survey, recent graduates 2021 | n=11
Admission and application
This program starts:
In September (in Barcelona, Spain).
Best preparatory programs:
Half-year (30 ECTS) pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry level. For example, a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences. Please note that the pre-Master’s program starts in Tilburg and has two intake moments (end of August and end of January).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Application and Admission - Webinar for Master’s programs
Are you interested in a Master’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Master’s programs. You can join the webinar at 10:00 or 16:00 on December 1.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The next Orientation Webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Population Studies?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology: Bamberg - Tilburg (Double degree) in Bamberg, Germany
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree) in Trento, Italy
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Societal Development
- Health, Wellbeing and Society
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences