Program and courses Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
Apply mathematical and statistical methods to solve real-world challenges, using state-of-the-art modeling methodologies in the fields of economics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced big data techniques.
This one-year program consists of 60 credits (ECTS):
- 4 core elective courses (24 ECTS)
- 3 elective courses (18 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (based on an internship or not) (18 ECTS)
You can start either at the end of August or at the end of January.
Choose 4 core elective courses (24 ECTS) out of:
Semester 1: End of August – January
- Panel Data Analysis of Microeconomic Decisions
- Games & Economic Models
- Empirical Finance unit 1
Semester 2: End of January – June
- Dynamic Economic Models
- Time Series and their Applications unit 4
- Data Science Methods unit 3
Choose 3 courses (18 ECTS) out of:
- The Economics and Finance of Pensions
- Asset Liability Management
- Dynamic Real Investment
- Customer Analytics
- Decision Making with Business Analytics
- Professional Business Analytics Skills
- Games and Cooperative Behavior
- Other electives
Choose optional, but recommended courses:
- Software Workshops
- Career Development: develop skills in preparation for the job market
Master’s thesis (based on an internship or not)
The aim of your Master’s thesis is to learn how to perform independent scientific research, and to write, present, and defend scientific work concerning a quantitative/econometric topic in the field of Econometrics and Mathematical Economics.
The subject of your thesis - based on an internship or not - should meet the following criteria:
- The research involved should be related to topics from the Econometrics and Mathematical Economics curriculum and should include sufficient quantitative aspects.
- The project should go beyond applying general and current techniques or principles. This may be achieved by applying current techniques to new fields of application, or by developing new methods for solving existing or new problems;
- The project should allow you sufficient scope to operate creatively and independently.
Watch a trial lecture
You will find a detailed description of the courses and required literature in our course catalog.
Please note: programs are subject to change. We advise you to look up the current program in OSIRIS Student at the start of the year.
Do you want to know more about this Master’s program?
Find out more during one of our events
Make the most of your Master's
In the first semester of the regular program, ambitious students can apply for the following additional advanced programs:
Extended Master's Program: traineeship (+0.5 years)
Short overview of the Extended Master's Program
During your traineeship, you work on practical assignments for a company, follow professional skills courses, and receive mentoring and guidance. By increasing your professional experience, skills, and network like this, you seriously boost your chances in the job market.
- If selected, you will fulfill your traineeship from April to October. On average, you will work four days at the company, and attend skills training once a week at Tilburg University. In addition to this, company visits will be organized in the Extended Master's Program network.
- If both you and the company are happy with the results, you are welcome to extend the traineeship by writing your Master's thesis at the company. Your research topic then needs to be approved by the Tilburg University thesis coordinator.
- There are no administrative or participation fees for taking part in the Extended Master's Program. You will pay the regular tuition fees for the extra six months the Extended Master's Program takes.
Application and admission
You can apply for the Extended Master's Program once you've started the regular Master's program.
QTEM program: study abroad and traineeship (+1 year)
This Master's program is a proud partner of the prestigious Quantitative Techniques for Economics and Management (QTEM) network.
- Excellent and ambitious students have the opportunity to extend their one-year Master's program with an additional year.
- In this additional year, they can spend up to two semesters at different QTEM partner universities, and do an internship abroad at one of the corporate partners. Corporate partners include McKinsey, Bain, Deloitte, and ABInBev.
- Successful QTEM students are awarded the QTEM Network Certificate.
Application and admission
You can apply for the QTEM program once you've started with the regular Master's program.
Entrepreneurial Literacy Initiative: online extracurricular program
Entrepreneurial Literacy Initiative (ELI) is an online extracurricular program that provides Master's students with tools to reflect and plan for an entrepreneurial career. Overall, ELI can be a very useful experience if you have entrepreneurship on your mind. —either right after graduation or later in your career! If you are unsure whether entrepreneurship fits you and your goals, ELI will help you find out.
Application and admission
All students enrolled in a Master's program at TiSEM are invited to apply.
Short overview of the Econometrics and Mathematical Economics program
Apply mathematical and statistical methods to solve real-world challenges.
- Choose from a large amount of elective courses.
- Taught by leading international scholars from the world-renowned research institute CentER.
- Belongs to the programs with the best career perspectives.
Interested in the MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application