Extended Master's Program Human Resource Studies
The Extended Master’s program is open for excellent students of the Master Human Resource Studies. An Extended Master's program adds an extra semester (6 months) to your regular Master’s program during which you get the chance to gain relevant work or research experience and enhance your professional skills or academic knowledge. You might spend this extra semester studying abroad at one of our partner universities to gain some international experience.
As a Human Resource Studies student you can choose one of the following options for the Extended Master's program:
- Exchange program International Comparative HR
- Professional internship
- Research internship in HR analytics
1. Exchange program International Comparative HR
Studying International Comparative HR, you will pursue a balanced program of graduate courses (30 ECTS) at one of our partner universities, in addition to your regular Master’s courses.
- Study one semester abroad in the second or third semester and work on your Master’s thesis during the other semester. International experience gives an extra competitive edge in the job market.
- This program takes a cross-cultural approach in order to provide you with an in-depth understanding of the employment relationships, coaching, and/or management of employees in different international settings.
2. Professional internship
During the professional internship, you will participate in a wide range of HR activities, such as talent management, flexible workforce, performance management, and strategic personnel planning, in and under the supervision of a partner organization. You will take on a professional internship at a partner organization in the second semester and write your Master’s thesis in the third semester.
- A professional internship provides you with relevant work experience and enhances your professional skills and knowledge.
- In this one-semester internship, you will participate in a wide range of HR activities for and supervised by the partner organization.
- Your primary task will be to take part in (the various stages of) a HR project. This may vary from projects on talent management, flexible workforce, and performance management, to strategic personnel planning.
3. Research internship in HR analytics
You can improve your data science skills by doing a research internship and by participating in additional training in advanced research methods:
- You will do a research internship at the HRS department and write your Master’s thesis in the second and third semesters.
- The HR Analytics research internship provides you with relevant research experience and advanced methodological skills for analyzing organizational data related to the theme of ‘work, employee wellbeing, and performance’.
- In this internship, you will devote half your time to an existing research project in the HRS department, and the other half to researching and writing your Master's thesis.
- These activities are supervised by a senior researcher of the department.
Application and admission Extended Master's program
You cannot directly apply for the Extended Master's program. You have to be enrolled in the Master’s program Human Resource Studies, as well as being an excellent (top 20%) student to apply for one of the three options for the Extended Master's program Human Resource Studies.
- At the start of the Master’s program Human Resource Studies (early September/early February) the options will be introduced during a kickoff meeting. An extra information meeting will be organized for students who are interested. During the information meeting you will receive all information on the application procedure (motivation, cv, grades, and application letter), deadlines, and the structure and planning of the three options.
- If you are interested, you should contact your program coordinator.
Interested in the MSc Human Resource Studies?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application