Application and admission for BSc Econometrics and Operations Research
This is the application and admission procedure for applicants with a non-Dutch educational background.
a) Check your eligibility
Get a quick indication of your eligibility to our international Bachelor's programs.*
*Currently only available for students who want to apply for admission with a national diploma obtained in Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Romania, Poland, Croatia, or USA or with one of the following international diplomas: International Baccalaureate, European Baccalaureate, GCE A-levels (UK, Cambridge).
1. Diploma requirements
To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
You can review a list of most commonly accepted diplomas on our website.
- If your diploma is not on the list, this does not necessarily mean that your diploma cannot be accepted. We advise you to submit your application via our online application system so that we can assess your eligibility.
- Haven’t obtained your diploma yet? You are welcome to apply if you are in the final year of your secondary education, but only if you will graduate before the start of your program at Tilburg University (i.e., by the end of August).
2. English language requirements
English language requirements
As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
Tilburg University accepts one of the following tests, which must not be older than two years at the time of application:
- Academic IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.0 and a minimum score of 5.5 for each section.
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 80 for the internet-based test; we do not accept the revised paper-based test, nor the TOEFL Institutional Testing Program (TOEFL ITP).
- The TOEFL institutional code for Tilburg University is 9860.
- Please request ETS to send us your test results via the ETS online database before you submit your application.
- Cambridge English test results: C1 Advanced (formerly CAE) or C2 Proficiency (formerly CPE). For both C1 and C2, we accept a score of A, B, or C.
- We do not accept a combination of test results on different test dates, e.g., TOEFL's 'My Best Scores'.
- You must be able to prove your English language proficiency at the time of application. Without test results your application can not be processed, unless you are exempted.
For a full overview and list of exemptions, please check out our English language requirements.
3. Mathematics requirements
Mathematics is a required course. This means that even if you have obtained or are going to obtain a recognized diploma, you must be able to prove that you have a sufficient level of Mathematics.
More information on the level of mathematics that is required for admission to this Bachelor’s program can be found on our mathematics requirements page.
Not directly eligible for admission?
If you are not directly eligible for admission, you can consider taking part in the International Foundation year in Business, Economics and Social Sciences at the Holland International Student Centre.
During this pathway program, you will work on any deficient academic skills, mathematics skills and English skills. Upon successful completion of the pathway program, you can progress to this Bachelor's program at Tilburg University.
If you are interested in studying the pathway program, you can find out how to apply through the Holland International Study Centre.
b) Remember the deadline
If you want to start the program end of August 2022, you must submit your complete application at the latest by:
- EEA nationals: May 1, 2022
- Non-EEA nationals: April 1, 2022
- Applicants with a non-EEA nationality and a valid residence permit of an EEA country, other than the Netherlands, should apply before the non-EEA deadline.
c) Follow the procedure for international applicants
For a step-by-step guide through the application process, please watch our video How to apply for a Bachelor's program as an international student (12:29).
Make sure you apply for the correct study program
- The name of this Bachelor's program in Studielink:
B Econometrics and Operations Research
Step 1: Prepare your application documents
During the application process, you must upload the following documents in pdf format only.
A. Documents to verify your educational background and motivation
- Your diploma(s) in the language in which it/they are issued, OR the Statement of Educational Institution.
- If you have not yet obtained your secondary school diploma, please upload the Statement of Educational Institution. This Statement helps us assess your eligibility for admission correctly. Please ask your School Counselor or another representative of your school to complete the form as requested, sign it, and stamp it.
- If you are selected for the program, you must send in a certified copy of your diploma once you get it, and before you start your studies at Tilburg University.
- Your grade list(s). If you have not obtained your diploma yet, please enclose your most recent grade list(s) and/or predicted grades.
- Please note that we only accept official grade lists which have been issued by your school and/or academic advisor. A screenshot of your school’s digital environment where you can review your academic progress is not accepted.
- A legalized translation of all documents: grade lists and diplomas if these are not already in Dutch, English, French, or German.
- The results of an English language test if you are not exempted.
- The test results must not be older than two years at the time of application.
- If you do not have your test results at the time of application, please provide an indication of your test date in your application.
- A motivation letter
We are looking for students who are passionate about mathematics, and who thrive in this subject as well. But in addition, we’d like to know why you want to study econometrics, and why at Tilburg University? Use the motivation letter to discuss these topics, as well as tell us a little bit about yourself and your (academic) background.
- Please make sure to include the topics you’ve covered in mathematics.
- It is not mandatory to include a motivation letter in your application package, but it will help you in the process of finding a fitting study program and it will give us the opportunity to determine whether you are a good fit for the Econometrics and Operations Research program.
- A curriculum vitae
- Chinese nationals are advised to apply for a Nuffic Certificate as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the immigration procedure. For more information, please go to the Nuffic website.
B. Documents to verify your identity
- We only accept your passport to confirm your identity.
- Please upload a scan of all pages in your passport which have a stamp or sticker on them, as well as the page with your personal details and the issue and expiry date of your passport.
- Your passport must be valid until at least six months after the starting date of your study program: March 1.
- Are you already living inside the EEA? In addition to your passport, please upload a scan of the front AND back of your EEA/Dutch residence permit.
We accept either your passport or national identification card to confirm your identity:
- Passport: upload the page with your personal details and the issue and expiry date of your passport.
- National identification card: upload a scan of both the front AND back of your national identification card.
- Please make sure that all information in the documents requested is clear and do not cover any information in the scans of the documents you upload. It is important for verification purposes that information including the photo, your personal details and the computer coding at the bottom of the document are visible to us.
Step 2: Register in Studielink
Register in Studielink
You must register in Studielink, the Dutch national registration system for higher education, including the information below. Please do so correctly or we will not be able to process your application.
- Make sure you register for the correct study program as described above.
- Add your personal details (including your full name) as stated in your passport.
- Enter an e-mail address that you use regularly. Tilburg University will send you important information via this e-mail address, so please check it regularly.
- For instructions on how to register via Studielink, please watch our video How to register in Studielink or check the Step-by-step plans on the Studielink website.
Please note: you must follow the application procedure in step 3 to be considered for admission. Registration in Studielink only is not sufficient. Both processes must be completed by the deadline stated above.
Step 3: Continue your application in our online application system
After you have registered in Studielink, you need to continue your application in OSIRIS Aanmeld, our online application system.
Within 48 hours of your registration in Studielink, you will receive an e-mail confirming your login details to OSIRIS Aanmeld.
- You can prepare for this e-mail by confirming email@example.com as a safe sender in your e-mail system. You should also check your spam/junk inbox.
- If you have not received this e-mail within 48 hours of your registration in Studielink, please contact your International Admissions Coordinator via Admissions@tilburguniversity.edu.
Log in to OSIRIS Aanmeld using your login details as stated in the confirmation e-mail. Follow the instructions to complete your application.
For instructions on how to apply via OSIRIS Aanmeld, please watch our video How to apply for a Bachelor in OSIRIS Aanmeld (07:00).
Make sure to upload the correct documents, or your application can not be processed. Details about the format and content of the required documents can be found in 'Step 1: Prepare your application documents'.
Some tips for your application:
- We recommend that you use Chrome as your web browser.
- If you want to upload a document with more than one page, scan each page of the document into one PDF.
- In order to assess your application, we only require the documents listed above.
- You do not have to complete your application in one go. You can save your application and return to it later.
You will also receive an e-mail with login details for Tilburg University's computer network
In addition to the e-mail with login details for OSIRIS Aanmeld, you will also receive an e-mail with login details for Tilburg University's computer network from our Library and IT Services department.
- This e-mail has, among other information, your student number and Tilburg University e-mail address.
- You will not need these details for your application, but please save them carefully, as you will need them after your admission to complete your enrollment.
Submit your application before the deadline as stated above
When you have completed your application, you can submit it. If you submit your application either close to or on the deadline, but have not uploaded the correct documents, Tilburg University reserves the right not to process your application.
After submitting your application
Our International Admissions Coordinator will check that your application is complete, according to the requirements above.
If your documents are not complete, you will be asked to submit any missing or replace any illegible document(s). Your International Admissions Coordinator may request additional information from you during the assessment process. Please check your e-mail regularly (including your spam folder) to avoid a delay in the processing of your application.
You can check your application status anytime you log in to your account in OSIRIS Aanmeld.
Step 4: Outcome of the admissions process
When your application is complete, it will be assessed to determine whether your academic background meets our admission requirements, based on your application documents.
Within four to six weeks of the start of this process, you will receive the Admissions Committee's decision by e-mail. Below are the possible outcomes of your application.
This means that you have been admitted to the Bachelor’s program for which you have applied.
- Your admission may be conditional upon factors such as your graduation from your current program. The conditional admission letter will state what you need to do to turn your conditional admission into unconditional admission. Please read it carefully and contact your International Admissions Coordinator if you have any questions. Please make a note of the deadline given for meeting the conditions of admission.
- After you have met all the conditions of admission, you will receive your unconditional admission letter via e-mail.
This means that the Admissions Committee considers your academic background to be unsuitable for admission to our Bachelor's program and we are unable to admit you based on your current academic background.
- Your registration in Studielink will be cancelled.
- You are welcome to re-apply for this program in the future if your academic background changes.
If your application is rejected and you are not directly eligible for admission to our Bachelor’s programs, you may be eligible at a later date via another route:
- Successfully complete the first year of a Bachelor’s degree in any academic subject at a university in your home country.*
- Successfully complete the first year of a Bachelor’s degree in any academic subject at a university of applied sciences in the Netherlands and be awarded a propaedeutic certificate.*
* Please note that you will also need to meet all other requirements stated on this webpage under a) Check your eligibility.
Step 5: Admitted, what's next?
Congratulations on being admitted to Tilburg University, either conditionally or unconditionally! We welcome you and wish you good luck with the start of your studies.
We will walk you through the next steps:
Complete your enrollment and pay your tuition fees
Please check your enrollment status and any to-do items that may still be pending in OSIRIS Student. You can use your login details for Tilburg University’s computer network to access OSIRIS Student.
Arrange practical matters
Before you can start your studies in Tilburg, there are a number of important practical matters to take care of, such as your visa (non-EEA nationals only), housing, and insurances.
Participate in orientation activities
All Tilburg University students are encouraged to arrive in Tilburg during our Registration Days, which will take place in mid-August. During the week prior to the start of the academic year, there is a mandatory study program introduction. You may also want to take part in the Tilburg Orientation Program (TOP Week) – a great way to get to know your fellow students and the city of Tilburg.
Tilburg University complies with all the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) regarding all personal information included in the application process, including photocopies of passports/residence permits, etc. For more information, please refer to our Privacy Statement.
Please feel free to contact us with any personal queries about the program, admissions and enrollment. You can contact us before, during or after you have submitted your application. Our team will be glad to answer all your questions about studying at Tilburg University and provide you with detailed practical information.