Econometrics and Operations Research BSc
Learn how to use mathematical models to describe and analyze everyday problems in business and in the public sector. In contrast to pure math or engineering the Bachelor's program in Econometrics and Operations Research is focused on developing math skills that can be applied to any real-life question. This quantitive program teaches you how to use math to optimize processes, simplify procedures or analyze a set of data.
National Student Survey 2023
from all over the world
Short overview of Econometrics and Operations Research
- This quantitative program teaches you how to use mathematical models to describe and analyze everyday problems that arise in business and the public sector.
- You will learn to apply theory in practice from the outset of the program by getting to work on real-life challenges in society.
- The program is small-scalle, with a large amount of personal attention from top lecturers, mentors and the program coordinator.
Program and courses
- The first year of the program consists of ten courses taught in four units of lectures. Five of the courses provide a solid mathematical and statistical basis, the other five courses focus on subjects in economics and business. The Improving Society Lab will run alongside year one. This series of lectures will allow you to immerse yourself in the real-life applications of Econometrics and Operations Research, and practice this yourself.
- From the second year on, the program switches to a semester system. In addition to the mathematical and statistical courses, there is room for a number of courses that provide an orientation to various quantitative fields within econometrics and operations research such as Introduction Asset Pricing and Stochastic Operations Research Models. You will develop communication and information skills and continue with the Improving Society Lab alongside the main curriculum.
- In the third year, you can specialize by choosing from a range of courses that follow the three main fields of econometrics. You can go on an international exchange for six months. And finally, in the last year of your Bachelor’s program, you will write your Bachelor’s thesis.
Typical courses are:
Develop your key algebraic skills to understand and develop more advanced mathematical techniques. For instance: limits of sequences or functions, differentiation and calculation of integrals.
- Probability and Statistics
Refresh your knowledge of the mathematical model of probability and statistics.
- Linear Optimization
Linear optimization is one of the fundamental computational tools in Operations Research, and is used for example for airline scheduling, production planning, and in many other industrial settings.
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join one of our student organizations. A great way to meet like-minded students and make friends.
- Challenge yourself by participating in one of the programs of excellence.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Econometrics and Operations Research, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you've completed a Master's program, you'll have favorable career prospects, for example as a supply chain specialist or quantitative financial analyst.
Alumni found work at, for example, Deloitte, Ernst & Young and PwC.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
"Econometrics and Operations Research is a program that will challenge you, but in a very rewarding way. It has a great reputation and represents outstanding quality of education."
"It's extraordinary to mathmatically dive into a subject and discover that nothing is quite as it seems "
"I really like how students and professors interact with each other. Professors are friendly and understanding here, and there is always somebody you can ask for help if you run into problems."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university.
To be announced
Application and Admission - Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you interested in a Bachelor’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Bachelor’s programs. The next webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Related Bachelor's programs
Are you and Econometrics and Operations Research a match? If you...
love mathematics and statistics
are interested in using your mathematics skills to optimize processes for companies, governments and non-profit organizations
are ready to develop skills which are in high demand
Then this is the program for you!