Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
Translate important societal questions from both micro and macro perspectives into sociological research to evaluate policies and to serve as input for new policies. Focus on the analysis of issues related to social cohesion, such as populism, social contacts and solidarity.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
QS World University Ranking, 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking, 2021
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=6
Program and courses
Translate important social problems into sociological research questions from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity). Analyze these questions with the aid of theories and advanced research methods, and evaluate and develop policy based on the results.
- Taught in small, interactive workgroups with excellent individual thesis supervision.
- The Extended Master's Program adds one semester to the total program to provide you with a half-year traineeship position. Enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience.
- With a double degree program you have the opportunity to earn a degree from both Tilburg University and one of our partner universities:
Apart from the track Politics, Policy and Society in a Comparative Perspective, the Master's program Sociology offers two other specialized tracks:
- The Politics, Policy and Societal Development track gives you a different perspective on sustainable development based on the theories and methods pertinent to the Global Management of Social Issues discipline. This specialization addresses societal issues and sustainable development from a sociological perspective.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. With a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will learn to become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
- Social Movements: Social Media, Democracy and Change
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- The Social Structure of Western Societies
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
Dirk RaijmakersMaster's student
"After getting my degree, I would like to work as a researcher or a data analyst. Doing research at a university or government institution, or big data analysis at a private company."
Remco van WijkExtended Master's Program student
"I experience the subjects during the master as very deepening. You really develop skills that you will use in the labor market. Since the courses are very interesting I don't have any trouble spending my time on the study."
Maurice VonkExtended Master's Program student
"I used my gained knowledge in practice during my internship at the Inspectorate of Social Affairs and Employment, where I investigated how people who receive benefits, perceive the services from municipalities in their search for employment."
Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective is a broad program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs both within the Netherlands and beyond, ranging from government institutions to private companies and research agencies. Work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care. Interested in business, marketing or journalism? The Guardian states that Sociology gives you a head-start, listing a range of specific abilities and skills.
Graduates started or work for example as:
- Policy Officer at Ministerie van Veiligheid en Justitie
- Health care research | Primary care | Data-analist | at NIVEL
- Policy advisor at the Catharina Hospital
- Average number of months until first paid job: 4
- 83% of our alumni find a job within 6 months after graduation
- 67% would choose the same program again, at the same university.
- 67% would (definitely) recommend the study to friends, family or colleagues
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2020 | n=6
Application and admission
This program starts:
At the end of August and at the end of January
Best preparatory programs:
Sociology, Psychology, Social Geography, Anthropology, Culture Studies, Human Resource Studies, Organization Studies, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo). The pre-Master's program starts at the end of August and at the end of January.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
10:00 - 17:00
Application and admission webinar for Master's programs
If you're interested in doing a Master's program at Tilburg University, and you want to know more about the application and admission process, you should join our webinar on December 10th!
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and pre-Masters and ask our teachers, students and study advisors your questions.
Interested in the MSc Sociology?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology and Social Research (Double degree with University of Trento, Italy)
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree with UPF Barcelona, Spain)
- Sociology: Bamberg – Tilburg (Double degree with University of Bamberg, Germany)
- Health, Wellbeing and Society track
- Politics, Policy and Societal Development track
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences