Methods and Statistics track (Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences)
Specialize in methods and statistics to tackle research questions with increasingly complex data. The Methods and Statistics program delves into the individual's behavior in different social contexts (e.g., peers, family, groups, social networks) with a specialization that has a strong analytical and quantitative focus. This is a track of the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Program and courses
Become specialized in methods and statistics while studying individual behaviors in different social contexts from three social sciences perspectives: Social Psychology, Sociology, and Organization Studies.
- Learn how to design high-quality research and develop and apply advanced statistical techniques to tackle research questions involving complex data.
- Your methodological and statistical skills, paired with interdisciplinary knowledge of the social and behavioral sciences, will give you a competitive advantage in a wide range of applied or fundamental (research) positions, but also in other fields like consultancy or marketing.
- Become part of a small-scale, interactive group of international, ambitious students with individual guidance from one of the renowned national and international academics.
- Apply your knowledge and research skills by participating in four in-house research traineeships, and one international research traineeship and write two scientific research papers as part of the curriculum.
Typical courses are:
- Mathematical Methods
- Categorical Data Analysis
- Multivariate Analysis, including Multilevel Models
- Bayesian Statistics
Ömer Emre Can AlagözMaster's student
"I learned advanced topics in categorical data analysis and improved my programming skills. With traineeships and the first-year paper, we were able to get hands-on experiences."
Anya TonneAnalytics Consultant at Cmotions
"Extensive training in statistics is complemented by a diverse theoretical curriculum, which gives a great methodological knowledge on how to conduct research independently."
dr. Lieke VonckenResearcher at Tilburg University
"What I liked most was that I was able to choose a direction based on my own research interests. Also, I really liked the informal and friendly atmosphere."
As an all-round researcher, specializing in methods and statistics, you have a competitive advantage in any career that requires sharp analytical and problem-solving skills, project management, or hands-on experience with the full empirical research cycle. Our graduates have developed strong careers in- and outside academia, for example at research universities and institutes, and non- and for-profit organizations.
Recent alumni placements include:
- PhD student at Tilburg University
- Data Analyst at CITO
- Researcher at Eurostat
- Data scientist at CentERdata
- Data Analyst and Research Expert at ING Bank
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3.5
- 75% find a job within 2 months after graduation
- Graduates considered the Master's program to be a good foundation of knowledge and skill development
- 75% would recommend this Master’s program to friends, family, or colleagues
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=4
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer a pre-Master’s program. However, in case you successfully complete one of the pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g., the pre-Master's program in Sociology, Organization and Management Studies, or Human Resource Studies) you become eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Master's Open day
Are you interested in doing a Master's program? Do you want to specialize or are you looking for a Master that broadens your possibilities? Join us at the Master's Open Day on March 23 to find out which (pre-)Master's program suits you best. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.