Sociology track (Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences)
Become a research specialist on social inequality and social cohesion, with a comparative and dynamic perspective. Learn advanced research methods to unravel the mechanisms underlying peoples’ reactions to changes that are either episodic (e.g., unemployment, sickness) or structural and long-lasting (e.g., globalization, aging). Sociology is a track of the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Program and courses
Become a research specialist in the field of sociology and focus on people's responses to changes in society and their personal life.
- This Research Master's track is unique in the Netherlands
- By choosing this track, you specialize in a unique research area. You can further personalize your education by choosing your supervisors, research topics, and traineeships.
- A thorough methodological and statistical education from renowned national and international academics prepares you for job opportunities in science, such as PhD positions, applied research, or for analytical and research-intensive jobs outside academia, like consulting or marketing.
- Become part of an ambitious and international group of students with small-scale interactive education and individual guidance. With no more than 30 students in a class, there are more full-time professors than students.
Typical courses are:
- Networks and Cohesion
- Public Understanding of Science
- Intergenerational Relations and Reproduction
- Structural Equation Modelling and the Analysis of Longitudinal Data
Luca CarbonePhD student KU Leuven
"You receive solid statistical training and many opportunities to study and do empirical research while also receiving many opportunities to explore your preferences. You will acquire professional skills as well, such as programming in R."
Quita MuisPhD student Tilburg University
"The contact between students and teachers elevates your learning experience. The courses helped me develop skills that are essential for my current PhD position, but are also valuable when you want to conduct research outside of academia."
Nathalie AertsResearch Master’s student
"The Research Master's program gives me the unique opportunity to investigate societal issues with a multidisciplinary perspective, combined with high-quality research competencies."
You will become an all-round researcher who thinks outside the box and who is specialized in one of the four academic perspectives. You are trained to translate major social trends into empirical research questions, using theoretical insights and advanced research methods. This track gives you a competitive advantage in any career that requires sharp analytical and problem-solving skills, project management, or hands-on experience with the full empirical research cycle. Our graduates have developed strong careers in- and outside academia. With your analytical and research skills, you are also well-suited for a PhD program at Tilburg University or any other university.
Recent alumni placements include:
- PhD student (Stanford University, Tilburg University)
- Behavioral Change Expert (Dijksterhuis & Van Baaren)
- Data Analyst and Research Expert (ING Bank)
- Policy Advisor at a government institution
- Researcher & Lecturer (University of Southampton)
- Applied Statistician in demographic research (Centraal Planbureau)
- Average number of months until first paid job: 3.5
- 75% find a job within 2 months after graduation
- 75% was (very) satisfied with the master's program
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=4
Application and admission
This Master's program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
The Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences does not offer a pre-Master’s program. However, in case you successfully complete one of the pre-Master’s programs of the Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (e.g., the pre-Master's program in Sociology, Organization and Management Studies, or Human Resource Studies) you become eligible for admission to the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences. Please note that the other admission requirements and application procedure still apply.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
14:45 - 16:30
Master Experience Days TSB
The Master Experience Days (MED) is a study- and career-orientation event for all students looking for a Master's program of the Tilburg School for Social and Behavioral Sciences (TSB).
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Are you interested in doing a Master's program? Do you want to specialize or are you looking for a Master that broadens your possibilities? Join us at the Master's Open day on March 23 to find out which (pre-)Master's program suits you best. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on April 3 or May 8! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
Interested in the Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
Do you have:
the ambitions for an intellectual challenge
strong critical and analytical abilities
an interest in and experience with doing research
Then check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.