Economics: Sustainable Development
Analyze the sources of economic growth in a country or region, the obstacles to growth and development they face, and their potential negative environmental consequences. Upon graduation you have become trained to evaluate and write policies and strategies towards economic development and sustainable resource use. This is a track of MSc Economics.
On-campus education as of August 2021 | pleased to meet you
US News Best Global Universities, 2021
Program and courses
Evaluate people’s willingness to pay for environmental improvements, measure the effectiveness of structural reform policies, and write policy proposals regarding income inequality and growth, educational policies, and innovation strategies.
- Gain an understanding of how markets function, when they fail and how various markets are interrelated, which is essential in companies' strategic decision process as well as in solving social economic and development problems.
- Great diversity in nationalities, with about 50% international fellow students.
- This is a track of MSc Economics. You can choose to follow the main program or one of the tracks.
Typical courses are:
- Growth and Regional Development
- Environmental and Resource Economics
- Governance of Innovation
Upon graduating you will have obtained the following title (as stated on your diploma): Master of Science. With a specialization in Sustainable Development you are fully prepared to evaluate and write policies and strategies towards development and sustainable resource use. These skills are tailored for a career in international organizations, national governments, non-governmental organizations, or internationally oriented consultancy firms.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Consultant at The World Bank
- Credit Risk Analyst at FMO
- Financial-Economic Policy Advisor at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
- Gemiddeld aantal maanden tussen afstuderen en eerste baan: 3,7
- 84% van de Alumni zijn (zeer) tevreden over het programma
- Gemiddeld bruto-maandinkomen anderhalf jaar na afstuderen: € 2,734,-
Bron: Nationale Alumni Enquête 2020 | n=12
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
At the end of August and at the end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or in a similar program (e.g., in Econometrics)
- Please note: Students with a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) Bachelor’s degree are not eligible to apply for this program.
Only available for Research University students, not for students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
Unfortunately, we cannot organize any on-campus events at the moment. To help you as much as possible with your study choice, we offer online alternatives.
13:30 - 15:45
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home. You can participate on Wednesday, September 22 or Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Live Webinars for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs. You can sign up for one of the sessions on September 24, or October 15, either at 10:00 or 16:00.
09:00 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Which Master do you think is interesting? Do you want to know which Master suits you? Then visit the Master's Open day. Find out all you need to know about our Master’s programs, tracks and Pre-Masters and ask your questions to our teachers, students and study advisors.
Interested in the MSc Economics?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application