International Business Taxation (LLM)
Combine legal and economic knowledge to become a tax expert specialized in international business. Gain the academic skills to fully understand the impact of taxation in combination with new technologies on a global scale. The LLM International Business Taxation is a hybrid Master’s program, which gives you the opportunity to join the program either online or on campus.
Program and courses
With this hybrid Master's program one of the best Law Schools in the Netherlands (THE, 2024) opens its doors to students from anywhere in the world.
- The market requires experts who have knowledge of both the economic and legal aspects of taxation. That is why the program is based on two pillars: law and economics.
- After graduation, all students (including students with a background in economics) will be awarded with the Master in Law in International Business Taxation (LLM).
- Students with a Dutch Bachelor's in Law (LLB) or pre-Master's in Law can obtain the so-called “civiel effect” after graduation from this Master's. That means you will have the right to exercise typically legal professions in the Netherlands such as notary, judge, attorney, etc. This only applies to Dutch-speaking students.
- In combination with a university Bachelor's degree or pre-Master's degree, this Master's degree gives you access to the Nederlandse Orde van Belastingadviseurs (NOB). As member, you can work as a tax advisor in an NOB-recognized firm. All new members must complete a postgraduate professional course organized by the NOB. Mastering the Dutch language is necessary.
- Spice up your curriculum and broaden your horizon by participating in projects. For example, the EUCOTAX Wintercourse (a wintercourse sponsored by Ernst & Young) or the International and European Tax Moot Court Competition.
- Be inspired by internationally-reputed lecturers and celebrated scholars in a program that is affiliated with the Fiscal Institute Tilburg, the largest fiscal institute in Europe.
Typical courses are:
- International and European Taxation
- Transfer Pricing
- Tax and Technology
Bahana SalaimanMaster's student
"I appreciate the multidisciplinary approach of law, economics and accounting. The program is an example of theory and practice combined throughout the various courses."
Firoz EhsanDoctoral Candidate International Business, Trade and Tax Law | Shanghai Jiao Tong University
"The Master's was an important stepping stone to my doctorate at Shanghai Jiao University."
Cristiano Tristão DiasRegional Tax Manager EMEA | Sika
"Project management and structural thinking were fundamental assets gained in my masters at Tilburg University."
The Master's program International Business Taxation offers you outstanding career prospects. Expect to get a job very soon after you graduate, finding positions in the private sector (as a tax advisor, in-house tax specialist in internationally-operating companies, or consulting firms) as well as in the public and non-profit sectors (as a tax inspector or as a policy maker in a national or international institution).
Degree upon graduation:
Master in Law (LLM) in International Business Taxation.
Examples of graduates' starting positions include
- Analyst International Corporate Income Tax at Deloitte
- International Tax Consultant at Ernst & Young (EY)
- Transfer pricing Associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
- OECD Transfer Pricing Department
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: €3,013.-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021| n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts
At the end of August.
Best preparatory program:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
- A Bachelor's (= undergraduate) degree in Business Economics / Economics
If you're interested in obtaining the so-called “civiel effect” after graduation, a Dutch bachelor or pre-Master's in Law (LLB) degree is required.
There are pre-Master's programs available in English and in Dutch, this can differ per educational background. The pre-Master’s programs start at the end of August and are offered on campus.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. You can join the webinar from 16:00 until 17:00 CET.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Are you interested in doing a Master's program? Do you want to specialize or are you looking for a Master that broadens your possibilities? Join us at the Master's Open day on March 23 to find out which (pre-)Master's program suits you best. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
Interested in the LLM International Business Taxation?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.