Economics: Behavioral Economics
Address economic problems and issues related to human behavior and behavior change. Become an economist trained to consider both the economics and the psychology of behavior and how it can be affected by policy and strategy. This is a track of the MSc Economics.
MSc Economics including all tracks
National Student Survey 2023, MSc Economics including all tracks (n=41)
Program and courses
Address economic questions revolving around behavior and behavioral change.
- Starting point: individuals are not rational, self-interested maximizers, but behave and make decisions based on a limited capacity to process information and preferences that include a regard for social norms, such as fairness and reciprocity.
- Address important behavioral questions, such as:
- How to encourage households to waste less food?
- How to prevent fraud in organizations?
- How to stimulate employees to cooperate efficiently?
- How to foster trust in online markets?
- Combine insights from economists, psychologists and marketers cooperating in the Tilburg Institute for Behavioral Economics Research (TIBER).
- This is a track of MSc Economics. You can choose to follow the main program or one of the tracks.
Typical courses are:
- Economics and Psychology of Social Norms and Strategic Behavior
- Economics and Psychology of Risk and Time
- Experiments and Surveys
Upon graduating you will have obtained the following title (as stated on your diploma): Master of Science. With a specialization in Behavioral Economics, you will have a degree tailored for a career in policy advising, project management, and consultancy. Behavioral insights are in high demand in government agencies, financial institutions, insurance companies, and multinational corporations.
- 100% are (very) satisfied with the Master's program
- 95% would recommend the program to friends, family and colleagues
- 81% would choose the same program at the same university
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | MSc Economics including all tracks| n=21
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August and end of January
Best preparatory programs:
A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or a similar program (e.g., a degree in Econometrics).
Open to Research University students, not to students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
More information on this Master's program
Create your own e-brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Application and Admission - Webinar for Master’s programs
Are you interested in a Master’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Master’s programs. We offer a morning (10:00 - 11:00 CET) and an afternoon session (16:00 - 17:00 CET), to make sure you can join from any timezone.
16:00 - 17:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. You can join the webinar from 16:00 until 17:00 CET.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Are you interested in doing a Master's program? Do you want to specialize or are you looking for a Master that broadens your possibilities? Join us at the Master's Open day on March 23 to find out which (pre-)Master's program suits you best. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and education coordinators your questions.
Interested in the MSc Economics?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application