Economics: Sustainable Development
Biodiversity loss and climate change are changing the face of the planet. Analyze the causes of environmental disasters and search for and empirically test interventions to turn the tide. Upon graduation, you will have skills to evaluate and write policies and strategies for sustainable economic development and sustainable resource use. Sustainable Development is a track of the MSc Economics.
MSc Economics including all tracks
National Student Survey 2023, MSc Economics including all tracks (n=41)
Program and courses
Evaluate people’s willingness to pay for environmental improvements, measure the effectiveness of structural reform policies, and write policy proposals regarding income inequality and growth, educational policies, and innovation strategies.
- Gain an understanding of how markets function, when they fail and how various markets are interrelated, which is essential in companies' strategic decision process as well as in solving social economic and development problems.
- Great diversity in nationalities, with about 60% international fellow students.
- This is a track of MSc Economics. You can choose to follow the main program or one of the tracks.
Typical courses are:
- Sustainable Economic Growth
- Environmental and Resource Economics
- Data Science and Society
Upon graduating you will have obtained the following title (as stated on your diploma): Master of Science. With a specialization in Sustainable Development you are fully prepared to evaluate and write policies and strategies towards development and sustainable resource use. These skills are tailored for a career in international organizations, national governments, non-governmental organizations, or internationally oriented consultancy firms.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Monitoring Specialist at Censo Energy Solutions
- Credit Risk Analyst at the Dutch entrepreneurial development bank FMO
- Analyst at Climate Fund Managers
- 100% are (very) satisfied with the Master's program
- 95% would recommend the program to friends, family and colleagues
- 81% would choose the same program at the same university
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021 | MSc Economics including all tracks| n=21
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
At the end of August and at the end of January
Best preparatory programs:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or in a similar program (e.g., in Econometrics)
- Please note: Students with a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) Bachelor’s degree are not eligible to apply for this program.
Only available for Research University students, not for students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master’s program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The next Orientation Webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
To be announced
Application and Admission - Webinar for Master’s programs
Are you interested in a Master’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Master’s programs. The next webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
Interested in the MSc Economics?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application