International Business Taxation (LLM)
Become a tax expert specialized in international business. With the LLM International Business Taxation, which integrates both legal and economic aspects, you acquire the knowledge and the skills to fully comprehend the impact of taxation on a global scale, also in connection with new technologies.
As of September 2022, the two tracks of the Master's program in International Business Taxation - International Business Tax Law and International Business Tax Economics - will no longer be offered separately, but as one program integrating the economic and legal aspects. The program remains open to both students with economic and legal backgrounds. After the successful completion of the program, all students (including students with a background in economics ) obtain an LLM title.
Education as of September 2022 | International Business Taxation
In the academic year 2022/2023, this Master's program offers hybrid education, meaning the following:
- Students can choose to attend the classes either online or on campus.
- Exams will be organized exclusively online
- Classes and exams will be scheduled according to the Central European Time zone.
- We do not offer recordings of these classes.
- The pre-Master’s programs are only offered on campus.
- The following optional courses (and exams) are only offered on campus: Seminar Taxation, Corporate Sustainability and Financial Statement Analysis & Valuation
If you apply for the Master International Business Taxation, you will receive more information about the online and on campus option after you have been (conditionally) admitted.
For the latest updates on the corona situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
in International Business Taxation
LLM Guide (2022)
National Student Survey, 2022 | n=31
Program and courses
- This master program is open to both students with a background in law and with a background in economics. It combines elements of taxation, accounting and business law. Furthermore, students with an appropriate background have the possibility to opt for courses in economics-related matters.
- After graduation all students (including students with a background in economics) will be awarded with the degree Master in Law in International Business Taxation (LLM).
- Students with a Dutch bachelor in Law (LLB) or Pre-Master's in Law can obtain the so-called “civiel effect” after graduation from this master, i.e. the right to exercise in the Netherlands typically legal professions such as notary, judge, attorney, etc.
- In combination with a university bachelor's degree or premaster's degree, this master's degree gives you access to the Nederlandse Orde van Belastingadviseurs (NOB) when you work as a tax advisor in a NOB recognized firm. All new members must complete a postgraduate professional course organized by the NOB. Mastering the Dutch language is necessary.
The market asks for experts who have knowledge of both the economic and legal aspects of taxation, that is why the program is based on these two pillars: law and economics.
- Spice up your curriculum and broaden your horizon by participating in projects such as:
- the EUCOTAX Wintercourse (a wintercourse sponsored by Ernst & Young)
- the International and European Tax Moot Court Competition.
- Be inspired by internationally-reputed lecturers; this program is affiliated with the Fiscal Institute Tilburg - the largest fiscal institute in Europe.
Typical courses are:
- International and European Taxation
- Transfer Pricing
- Tax and Technology
Bahana SalaimanMaster's student
"I appreciate the multidisciplinary approach of law, economics and accounting. The program is an example of theory and practice combined throughout the various courses."
Firoz EhsanDoctoral Candidate International Business, Trade and Tax Law | Shanghai Jiao Tong University
"The master was an important stepping stone to my doctorate at Shanghai Jiao University."
Cristiano Tristão DiasRegional Tax Manager EMEA | Sika
"Project management and structural thinking were fundamental assets gained in my masters at Tilburg University."
The master program International Business Taxation offers you outstanding career prospects. Expect to get a job very soon after you graduate, finding positions in the private sector (e.g., as a tax advisor or as an in-house tax specialist in internationally-operating companies, consulting firms) as well as in the public and non-profit sectors (e.g., as a tax inspector or as a policy maker in a national or international institution).
Degree upon graduation:
Master in Law (LLM) in International Business Taxation.
Graduates started for example as:
- Analyst International Corporate Income Tax at Deloitte
- International Tax Consultant at Ernst & Young
- Transfer pricing Associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Phd Student at Tilburg University
Alumni facts Tilburg Law School
- Average number of months until first paid job: 2.35
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: €3.013,-
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2021| n = 98
Application and admission
This Master’s program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory program:
- A Bachelor’s (= undergraduate) degree in Law
A Bachelor's (= undergraduate) degree in Business Economics / Economics
If you're interested in obtaining the so-called “civiel effect” after graduation, a Dutch bachelor or premaster in Law (LLB) degree is required.
There is a pre-Master's program available in English. The Pre-Master’s program starts at the end of August.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
09:15 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the LLM International Business Taxation?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application.