Organizing for Global Social Challenges
Become an expert in sustainable development in an international context, by addressing global societal challenges such as poverty, inequality, migration, climate change, or humanitarian interventions after a natural disaster. In the Master's track Organizing for Global Social Challenges, you consider the role of organizations such as NGOs, firms, and social enterprises in tackling global societal challenges through different interventions. This is a track of MSc Organization and Management Studies.
QS World University ranking, 2023
US News Best Global Universities, 2023
National Alumni Survey, 2021 | n=18
Program and courses
You will develop a macro- and meso-level perspective on sustainable development, with emphasis on social and economic drivers and motives. Specifically, you will examine and discuss how organizations may address sustainable development goals by designing sustainable business models, and examine the difficulties and shortcomings these interventions may entail. You will explore the emergence of new hybrid organizations, like social entrepreneurship, the challenges they face, how they overcome them, and how they achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- You learn how to develop organizational interventions, run projects and assemble teams of experts who address global societal challenges.
- Become part of an innovative program that offers small-scale and interactive education provided by leading scientists and experts.
- The program does not only offer an international perspective on sustainable development but is also international in itself with students from different cultural backgrounds.
- This track offers a unique perspective on sustainable development, by specifically considering the role of organizations in addressing global societal challenges. In your Master's thesis, you will further develop this perspective by focusing on one or more SDGs.
- In the Master Organization and Management Studies you will learn to diagnose organizational problems, formulate research-based solutions to those problems, communicate these effectively with the relevant stakeholders, and manage the implementation processes.
- The Politics, Policy and Societal Development track gives you a different perspective on sustainable development based on the theories and methods pertinent to the Global Management of Social Issues discipline. This specialization addresses societal issues and sustainable development from a sociological perspective.
- In the Organizing and Managing Digital Transformation track you examine how digital technologies impact core organizational processes and reshape relationships between and within organizations. You will study how organizations respond, adjust, and navigate technological transformations from multiple perspectives.
Typical courses are:
- Social Changes and Sustainable Development
- Hybrid Organizations
- Complexity within Organizations
- Inter-organizational Relationships
"During my internship at Care Nederland I did research on social media use for women's rights in Afghanistan. My research gave me even more insight into the challenges that women in Afghanistan have to face every day."
Josine LeeuwdrentMaster’s student
"I was looking for the balance between thinking about societal issues from a sociological and philosophical perspective and getting practical tools to do business better. I enjoyed to study with so many like-minded people!"
As a graduate, you understand societal challenges in the framework of sustainable development and manage projects and people that strive to bring about change, development, or innovation in an international context. You can understand problems from multiple perspectives, analyze the causes and consequences of societal issues and lead and participate in change and innovation projects. With these skills, you are the linking pin in a multi-disciplinary team, as a project manager, consultant, policymaker, or policy consultant.
Some examples of our graduates' jobs:
- Consultant on sustainability in an international organization, connecting people in order to create the most competent team to solve complex problems.
- Fundraiser finding solutions for poverty, or helping with introducing sustainable practices in supply chains.
- Project manager making projects run smoothly to produce the best possible results.
Application and admission
This program starts:
End of August
Best preparatory programs:
Open to both Research University students and students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo).
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 16:00
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Join our Campus Experience on January 31 or February 21! Discover our compact and green campus with one of our students and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
To be announced
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
Are you curious about the experiences of international students like you? Join our Get to know Tilburg University Webinar led by our international team and discover what it is like to study at Tilburg University! It is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, and our university. The next Orientation Webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
To be announced
Application and Admission - Webinar for Master’s programs
Are you interested in a Master’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Master’s programs. The next webinar is taking place at the beginning of February 2024.
Interested in the Organizing for Global Social Challenges MSc track ?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application