financial and insurance

Arrange your insurances

When living in the Netherlands, you must, by law, have sufficient health insurance. We strongly recommend that you have the appropriate liability and travel insurance as well. Organizing these insurances is your own responsibility, but we have set out some general information/guidelines.

Health insurance

It is a legal requirement for all international students living in the Netherlands to have adequate health insurance. If you do not take out Dutch public health insurance when you should, you will be fined by Dutch Authorities.

  • It is important that you take out the correct insurance before you need it. If you wait until a situation arises for which you do not have adequate cover, it is unlikely that you will be covered and you will have to pay all costs yourself.  In the case of medical costs, these very quickly accumulate as healthcare in the Netherlands is expensive. 
  • We recommend you to take out insurance before coming to the Netherlands even as it mostly also covers your journey to the Netherlands.  It is your own responsibility to make the necessary arrangements, preferably at least two weeks before traveling to the Netherlands. 
  • Be aware that most student insurance policies do not cover pre-existing medical (including mental) conditions. Only the Aon complete + insurance does cover these, see below at Aon Student Insurance.

Please note: Tilburg University cannot be held responsible for any costs, which may be incurred during your stay in Tilburg as a result of incorrect medical and/or liability insurance.

Emergency coverage: European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
Financial penalty (if you do not take out health insurance)

Private insurance

International students who are in Tilburg for study purposes only and who do not have a paid internship or part-time job are not allowed to take out Dutch public health insurance, but must arrange a private insurance. 

Private insurance covers different amounts and situations, depending on the insurance package you choose. You must make sure that you have cover for the complete duration of your stay in the Netherlands – from your date of arrival to the date of departure. The majority of insurance companies, require you to pay your medical costs yourself and claim costs back from the insurance company later.

  • If you are a student from the EU/EEA and you are not allowed (by Dutch law) to apply for a Dutch public health insurance and do not have an EHIC (for conditions, see above) or if you need additional health coverage to your EHIC, you must take out private insurance.
  • If you are a student from outside the EU/EEA and you are not allowed to apply for Dutch public health insurance, you must take out private health insurance, such as Aon Student Insurance.  If your stay in the Netherlands is shorter than three months, you must check whether your health insurance from your home country covers your temporary stay in the Netherlands. If this is not the case, must take out private insurance.
Recommended: Aon Student Insurance packages
Other private insurance options

Liability and Travel Insurance 

If you damage someone’s property or cause an accident, Dutch law states that you are responsible for paying any resulting costs. Therefore, we recommend taking out liability insurance.

During their studies in Tilburg, most students make use of the opportunity to travel and become acquainted with new cities and countries. It is important to have suitable travel insurance in case, for example, your luggage is stolen or there is a medical emergency.   

Companies such as Aon Student Insurance and Insure to Study Insurance can arrange both the liability and travel insurance. Check their packages on this page, or visit their website for more information.

Two Tilburg students enjoying student life

Welcome new student

Arranging your insurances is part of the process of becoming a Tilburg University student. Check all the information relevant to kick-start your studies at Tilburg University.

For degree students

For exchange students