Sociology and Social Research (Double degree)
Become an expert in political research, social policy and solving social cohesion related-issues by following the Sociology Master’s programs from both Tilburg University and the University of Trento (Italy). Focus on political research, social policy and qualitative research at the University of Trento and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones at Tilburg University.
On Campus if we can | Online because we can
Program and courses
- Ultimate international experience by studying in Italy for a year.
- Get two full Master’s degrees in Sociology from two outstanding academic institutions.
- The degree of the University of Trento focuses on political research, social policy and qualitative research.
- The degree of Tilburg University focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones.
- Expand your knowledge and practical skills with a traineeship:
- The Extended Master provides you with a half year traineeship position and adds one semester to the total program. Enhance your skills and gain relevant work experience.
Typical courses are:
- Culture and Lifestyles
- Social Capital: Networks Resources and Attitudes
- The Social Structure of Western Societies
- Social Policy and Social Risks
Ask us your questions
Lucilla LosiJunior Researcher Tilburg University
"I learned a lot, not only as a student, but also as a person in general. I have had opportunities here that I could not imagine when I arrived: I am doing a traineeship at the Sociology Department and I participate in projects like SERISS – Synergies for Europe’s Research Infrastractures in the Social Sciences and EVS - European Values Study."
Angelica MaineriJunior Researcher Tilburg University
"The teaching style at Tilburg University is challenging and interesting, the campus is full of facilities and the courses provide a really high-quality learning environment. If you are not from the Netherlands, Tilburg University can also provide you with a unique experience abroad, useful to developing your knowledge and skills."
The MSc Sociology Double Degree program is a broad, international oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond.
- Work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care.
- Wide range of employers, ranging from government institutions to private companies and research agencies.
- Interested in business, marketing or journalism? The Guardian states that Sociology gives you a head-start, listing a range of specific abilities and skills associated with a degree in sociology, including “ability to judge and evaluate evidence; understanding the complexity and diversity of situations(…); collecting information; making reasoned and logical arguments.”
Some examples of our graduates' first jobs:
- European Commission
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (Netherlands)
- Number of months until first paid job: 4.8
- Job within one month after graduation: 50%
- Gross monthly income of our graduates in the first year: € 2,309
Source: National Alumni Survey, 2015
Application and admission
This program starts:
At the end of August (both the Master’s and the Pre-Master’s program). Please note: the Pre-Master’s program starts in Tilburg.
Best preparatory programs:
- Social Geography
- Culture Studies
- Human Resource Studies
- Organization Studies
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
Half-year (30 ECTS) Pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry level, for example a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
Please feel free to contact us for your personal queries. You can contact us on every page of the master's website. Or find out more by choosing one of the options below.
Create your own customized brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg.
In accordance with the guidelines of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), all on-campus events until September 1 will not take place. To help you choose your Master’s program as best as we can, you can replay the sessions of our Online Master's Open day and participate in an online Q&A session for the program(s) you are interested in.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Social Research?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application