Sociology and Social Research (Double degree)
Become an expert in political research, social policy and solving social cohesion related-issues by following the Sociology Master’s programs from both Tilburg University and the University of Trento (Italy). Focus on political research, social policy and qualitative research at the University of Trento and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones at Tilburg University.
QS World University Rankings, 2021
National Alumni Survey, 2020 | N=6
Times Higher Education ranking, 2021
Education as of September 2022
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
Get two full Master's degrees by studying at two high quality universities in Europe. Become an expert in political research, social policy and solving social cohesion related issues, by following the Sociology Master's programs from both Tilburg University and the University of Trento (Italy). Focus on political research, social policy and qualitative research at the University of Trento, and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research in order to evaluate current policy and create new policies at Tilburg University
- At Tilburg University, you can choose one of three tracks:
- The general Sociology (Politics, Policy and Society in a Comparative Perspective) track focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. Through a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
- The Politics, Policy and Societal Development track gives you a different perspective on sustainable development, based on theories and methods pertinent to the Global Management of Social Issues discipline. This specialization addresses societal issues and sustainable development from a sociological perspective.
- You can choose to extend your Master's program by doing a traineeship which adds half a year (30 ECTS) to the program.
- You only write one Master's thesis.
- You can tailor this program to your own interests and create an individual, unique profile.
- You get an interactive education and individual thesis supervision.
Typical courses are:
- Culture and Lifestyles
- Research Methods in History
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
Lucilla LosiJunior Researcher Tilburg University
"I learned a lot, not only as a student, but also as a person in general. I have had opportunities here that I could not imagine when I arrived: I am doing a traineeship at the Sociology Department and I participate in projects like SERISS – Synergies for Europe’s Research Infrastractures in the Social Sciences and EVS - European Values Study."
Angelica MaineriJunior Researcher Tilburg University
"The teaching style at Tilburg University is challenging and interesting, the campus is full of facilities and the courses provide a really high-quality learning environment. If you are not from the Netherlands, Tilburg University can also provide you with a unique experience abroad, useful to developing your knowledge and skills."
The MSc Sociology Double Degree program is a broad, international oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond.
- Work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care.
- Wide range of employers, ranging from government institutions to private companies and research agencies.
- Interested in business, marketing or journalism? The Guardian states that Sociology gives you a head-start, listing a range of specific abilities and skills associated with a degree in sociology, including “ability to judge and evaluate evidence; understanding the complexity and diversity of situations(…); collecting information; making reasoned and logical arguments.”
Some examples of our graduates' first jobs:
- European Commission
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (Netherlands)
Application and admission
This program starts:
At the end of August (both the Master’s and the pre-Master’s program). Please note: the pre-Master’s program starts in Tilburg.
Best preparatory programs:
Half-year (30 ECTS) pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry level, for example a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
To be announced
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
09:30 - 17:00
Master's Open day
Interested in doing a Master's program? Find out which Master's program suits you best during our Master's Open day on November 19. Learn all about our (pre-)Master’s programs and tracks, and ask teachers, students, and study advisors your questions. Sign up for the Open day now!
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Social Research?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application