Sociology and Social Research (Double degree)
Become an expert in political research, social policy and solving social cohesion related-issues by taking the Sociology Master’s programs from both Tilburg University and the University of Trento (Italy). Focus on political research, social policy and qualitative research at the University of Trento and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research in order to evaluate current policy and derive new policy at Tilburg University.
QS World University Rankings, 2022
National Student Survey, 2021 | N=7
Education and COVID-19
All education takes place on campus again, now that the coronavirus measures have been scaled back. Of course, we will always maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. Therefore, a few basic measures still apply. For the latest updates on the COVID-19 situation, see our FAQs for prospective students.
Program and courses
Get two full Master's degrees by studying at two high quality universities in Europe. Become an expert in political research, social policy and solving social cohesion related issues, by taking the Sociology Master's programs from both Tilburg University and the University of Trento (Italy). Focus on political research, social policy and qualitative research at the University of Trento, and learn to translate societal problems into sociological research in order to evaluate current policy and create new policies at Tilburg University.
- At Tilburg University, you can choose one of three tracks:
- The Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective track focuses on translating societal problems into sociological research from both micro (family, social networks, crime) and macro perspectives (welfare state, solidarity) in order to evaluate current policy and derive new ones.
- The Health, Wellbeing and Society track combines scientific insights from sociology and health sciences. Through a strong collaboration with healthcare organizations, you will become a specialist in the field of healthcare policy, societal resilience, and health and wellbeing.
- The Politics, Policy and Societal Development track gives you a different perspective on sustainable development, based on theories and methods pertinent to the Global Management of Social Issues discipline. This specialization addresses societal issues and sustainable development from a sociological perspective.
- You can choose to extend your Master's program by doing a traineeship which adds half a year (30 ECTS) to the program.
- You only write one Master's thesis.
- You get an interactive education and individual thesis supervision with the possibility to tailor this program to your own interests and create an individual, unique profile.
Typical courses are:
- Culture and Lifestyles
- Research Methods in History
- Social Policy and Social Risks
- Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective
Angelica MaineriJunior Researcher Tilburg University
"The teaching style at Tilburg University is challenging and interesting, the campus is full of facilities and the courses provide a really high-quality learning environment."
The MSc Sociology Double Degree program is a broad, international oriented program that can lead to employment in a wide range of fields and jobs in Europe and beyond. You could work in fields such as labor and employment, culture, welfare, recreation, education, or health care for a wide range of employers, including government institutions, private companies and research agencies.
Recent placements include:
- Management trainee at Alliander
- Junior Policy advisor & researcher at ARQ Knowledge Center
Examples of our graduates' first jobs:
- Policy officer
- Management trainee at Alliander
- Junior policy advisor & researcher at ARQ Knowledge Center
Application and admission
This program starts:
At the end of August (both the Master’s and the pre-Master’s program). Please note that the pre-Master’s program starts in Tilburg.
Best preparatory programs:
Half-year (30 ECTS) pre-Master’s program available if your previous program is relevant but does not meet the required entry level, for example a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied Sciences.
Tuition fees and scholarships
Interested in this Master's program?
More information on this Master's program
Download the brochure with information on program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and student life in Tilburg. Throughout the year you can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
13:30 - 15:30
Are you curious about life as a student at Tilburg University, or not sure which university you want to attend? Discover our compact and green campus during the Campus Experience and find out if Tilburg University is your future home.
12:30 - 16:30
Master Experience Days TSB
The Master Experience Days (MED) is a study- and career-orientation event for for all students looking for a Master's program of the Tilburg School for Social and Behavioral Sciences (TSB).
10:00 - 11:00
Get to know Tilburg University - Orientation Webinar for Master's programs
The Get to know Tilburg University Webinar is your one-hour introduction to studying in the Netherlands, the city of Tilburg, Tilburg University and our offer of international Master's programs.
Interested in the Double degree in Sociology and Social Research?
Check your eligibility and the deadlines for application
Related Master’s programs
- Sociology and Population Studies (Double degree)
- Sociology: Bamberg - Tilburg (Double degree)
- Sociology: Politics, Policy and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Research Master in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Research Master in Psychology: Individual Differences and Assessment
- Organization and Management Studies