Open a Dutch bank account
In order to assist you with opening a Dutch bank account, Tilburg University has made an agreement with ABN AMRO bank, which is one of the most popular banks in the Netherlands and is conveniently located in Tilburg.
Do I need to open a Dutch bank account?
- First, check if you have a bank account in a country that is a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) country in our overview of SEPA countries. If you have a bank account in a country that is a member of SEPA, it is not strictly necessary to open a Dutch bank account. You are advised to contact your own bank for more information.
- If you have been awarded a Scholarship, which includes receiving payments from Tilburg University, it is particularly important to open a SEPA bank account. This is the only way we can transfer the Scholarship to you.
The ABN AMRO Student Package
The Student Package offered by our partner ABN AMRO is free of charge for international students. It includes:
- A Dutch bank account and a debit card that can be used in every store in the Netherlands and also on the University campus
- A card reader (E.dentifier) and access to Internet Banking and Mobile Banking
- Unfortunately it is not possible for international students to apply for a credit card
Terms and conditions
You can only open an ABN AMRO bank account if:
- You are staying longer than six months in the Netherlands
If you are staying in the Netherlands for only one semester, it is not possible to open an account with ABN AMRO. However, you may be able to open an account with another bank, including an online bank. For further information, check out an overview of best banks for expats.
- You are younger than 30
Unfortunately, it is not possible to open a student account if you are 30 years of age or older. However, you are able to open a regular account via the ABN AMRO app or website. You can open a Basic Paying Package bank account - which has a monthly fee - via ABN AMRO's website.
- You have a BSN (Dutch citizen service number).
In case you do not have a BSN, you can open a digital bank account at for instance Bunq and N26.
How to open a student account at ABN AMRO Bank?
You can open a bank account with a passport (within one working day via the ABN AMRO app) or with your national EU ID card (via the ABN AMRO website). With a passport is the easiest way to open a bank account.
Please note: if you are younger than 18, you cannot open a bank account as stated below. Instead, you must make an appointment at one of ABN AMRO’s branches via telephone: +31 (0)88 - 226 2635. The request via our branches can take longer than the request via our app or website.
What do I have to prepare?
Before you open an account with ABN AMRO, you must arrange the following:
- A BSN number: This is the Dutch social security number and Tax Identification Number. You will get this number automatically when you register at the City Hall in the area in which you live. This is mandatory to open a bank account. Check our website for information about how to register at Tilburg City Hall, if you will be living in Tilburg.
- Proof of studying at Tilburg University: ABN AMRO can request you show your Certificate of Enrolment, student card or some other proof that you study here.
Tip: Use only your official address as detailed on your housing contract when completing the bank application form and when registering at City Hall; do not use any map app, as these often give an incorrect address.
Apply with a passport
Apply without a passport
You must have a national European ID card; driving licences or other forms of ID will not be accepted.
- Go to ABN’s application page.
- Click on the button ‘Apply Now’ under the heading ‘Student Package’ and complete all questions and steps.
- When all steps have been completed, you will receive confirmation of your request via e-mail.
- Your ID must be verified in person. AMP (ABN AMRO’s partner) will contact you to arrange an appointment at your Dutch home address to confirm your identity and so that you can sign the appropriate documents.
After completing the application (either via the app or website), ABN AMRO will start to create your account. You will be updated about the status of your request via the contact information you completed in your application.
If you have any questions regarding the online application process or the required documents, you can send an e-mail to ABN AMRO Tilburg: email@example.comAMRO.com.
Other money matters
Tuition fee payment in instalments (only applicable for degree students)
We have instructions available for international degree students who want to pay their tuition fee in instalments.
Paying with your Tilburg University card
Please read our webpage for more information about paying with your Tilburg University card on campus.
It is always been less common in the Netherlands than in other countries to pay with credit cards in shops. However, the use of credit cards is becoming increasingly more popular.
Working alongside your studies
If you wish to work in addition to your studies at Tilburg University, there might be possibilities to take a part-time job during your studies. For more information, please check the webpage on vacancies.