Open a Dutch bank account
In order to assist you with opening a Dutch bank account, Tilburg University has made an agreement with ABN AMRO bank, which is one of the most popular banks in the Netherlands and is conveniently located in Tilburg.
Do I need to open a Dutch bank account?
- First, check if you have a bank account in a country that is a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) country in our overview of SEPA countries. If you have a bank account in a country that is a member of SEPA, it is not strictly necessary to open a Dutch bank account. You are advised to contact your own bank for more information.
- If you have been awarded a Scholarship, which includes receiving payments from Tilburg University, it is particularly important to open a SEPA bank account. This is the only way we can transfer the Scholarship to you.
The ABN AMRO Student Package
The Student Package offered by our partner ABN AMRO is free of charge for international students. It includes:
- A Dutch bank account and a debit card that can be used in every store in the Netherlands and also on the University campus
- A card reader (E.dentifier) and access to Internet Banking and Mobile Banking
- Unfortunately it is not possible for international students to apply for a credit card
Terms and conditions
You can only open an ABN AMRO bank account if:
You are staying longer than six months in the Netherlands
If you are staying in the Netherlands for only one semester, it is not possible to open an account with ABN AMRO. However, you may be able to open an account with another bank, including an online bank. For further information, check out an overview of best banks for expats.
- You are younger than 30
Unfortunately, it is not possible to open a student account if you are 30 years of age or older. However, you are able to open a regular account via the ABN AMRO app or website. You can open a Basic Paying Package bank account - which has a monthly fee - via ABN AMRO's website.
How to open a student account at ABN AMRO Bank?
You can open a bank account with a passport (within one working day via the ABN AMRO app) or with your national EU ID card (via the ABN AMRO website). With a passport is the easiest way to open a bank account.
Please note: if you are younger than 18, you cannot open a bank account as stated below. Instead, you must make an appointment at one of ABN AMRO’s branches via telephone: 088 - 226 2635. The request via our branches can take longer than the request via our app or website.
What do I have to prepare?
Apply with a passport
Apply without a passport
If you have any questions regarding the online application process or the required documents, you can send an email to ABN AMRO Tilburg: email@example.comAMRO.com.