Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
The interdisciplinary Bachelor’s program Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence integrates the study of artificial intelligence with the study of human cognition. The program offers a balanced mix of theory and practice and includes courses on programming, Machine learning and Deep learning. By exploring topics such as the interaction between humans and technology, the program equips you to develop technological innovations that benefit society.
to choose from
Short overview of Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence
Program and courses
In this English-taught program, you learn about how intelligent systems operate and how it is related to the workings of the human brain. The study handles questions like: 'Can computers interpret human emotions in a reliable way? How much meaning can be derived from language? What is required to create a natural interaction between a human and a robot? How do you avoid ‘black box’ software, where the user doesn’t understand how decisions or conclusions are reached? What is the potential impact of Augmented Reality on our experience of the world?'
- In the first year you take introductory courses in the fields of artificial intelligence, and human cognition. In addition, you will gain basic programming skills.
- In the second year you deepen your knowledge. You will apply your knowledge and skills within themes such as Machine Learning and Human-Computer and Human-Robot-Interaction. You will also gain experience in conducting research.
- In the third year you follow specialization courses (for example: an Introduction to Machine Learning and Advanced Programming). You will also follow a minor. In this minor you can choose between gaining in-depth knowledge of your study program or broadening your perspective by taking courses from a different discipline at Tilburg University, a different university in the Netherlands or even abroad. You finish your studies by writing a Bachelor’s Thesis.
Typical courses are:
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence 1 & 2
Explore in what ways the intelligent behavior of living organisms is copied by computers and machines and how this knowledge can be applied to solve problems.
- Human-Computer Interaction for CSAI
Understand how humans and computers interact. Specifically, how psychological models are applied in new computer interfaces, such as website designs, apps, and other everyday digital aids.
- Introduction to Deep Learning
Delve into the fundamentals of Deep Learning and learn about the main building blocks of Deep Neural Networks and the primary algorithms used to train them. You will also develop practical skills to apply Deep Learning techniques to a variety of problems through hands-on sessions and project-based assignments
Why this Bachelor's program in Tilburg?
Study Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence in Tilburg
- The program focuses on developing applications for Human-AI teaming and hybrid intelligence that are aimed at expanding human intellect (by combining human and machine intelligence) rather than replacing it.
- Education is offered in a state-of-the-art environment with several labs, including Mind Labs, a Robot Lab, and a Virtual and Mixed Reality Lab.
- The program is built on a balanced mix of theory and practice and promotes ‘learning by doing’: during your studies, you are confronted with real-world problems and will become acquainted with the application of AI in commercial and organizational settings, e.g. by participating in projects with external partners.
- Ethics and AI is an integrated part of the program, stimulating you to develop AI solutions that are ethical and sustainable.
What to expect when coming to Tilburg
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
Beyond your Bachelor's: Extracurricular Activities
- Join our study organization Flow, the student association for Cognitive Science and Artifical Intelligence students. They organize formal and informal activities for members, such as company visits and get-togethers.
- Challenge yourself by participating in our on-top programs.
After your Bachelor's
Careers and subsequent Master’s programs
After obtaining your Bachelor's degree in Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence, you can choose to do a Master's program. After you have completed a Master's program, you will have favorable career prospects as an Intelligent Software Developer, AI Researcher or Machine Learning Engineer.
Graduates found work at Microsoft, Incentro or Capgemini.
Application and admission
Please follow the national application and admission procedure (in Dutch) if you are applying based on a Dutch vwo or hbo-p diploma, regardless of your nationality. A general description of the national application procedure is also available in English.
- To be eligible for admission to a research university such as Tilburg University, you must have a high school diploma equal to the highest level of secondary education in the Netherlands (the Dutch vwo diploma).
- As this Bachelor’s program is taught entirely in English, you must prove your English language proficiency.
- A good knowledge of mathematics is important for being successful in this Bachelor’s program. In order to be admitted, you must therefore prove that you have sufficient knowledge of mathematics.
You can find more detailed information about the admission requirements on this program's 'Application and admission' page.
Tuition fees and monthly cost of living
When you wish to study at Tilburg University, you must pay a tuition fee.
- Tuition fees cover the cost of lectures and facilities provided by the university, such as the extensive university library, Wi-Fi on campus, and symposia and other meetings.
- Tuition fees at Tilburg University are always for one full academic year.
Estimated monthly costs of living
Besides the tuition fees, you will have living costs and other expenses. You will find life in Tilburg relatively inexpensive compared to life in other Dutch university cities, such as Amsterdam and Utrecht. The approximate cost of living is between € 925 and € 1.125 per month.
|(Furnished) accommodation||Starting from € 550 per month|
|Foods & Drinks||€ 200 per month|
|Books & Readers||€ 65 per month|
|Insurance||€ 100 per month|
|Sport membership||+ € 139.95 per year|
"Many concepts are approached in various contexts and from different perspectives, which truly helps establishing a better understanding. Theoretical knowledge acquired in one course is often applied in others too, so you can clearly grasp the importance of the interdisciplinary approach in the field of CSAI and the broad range of its applications."
"What excites me the most about this study is that we dive deep into the multidisciplinary study of mind and cognition, and how we can apply it to AI. We are living in a digitalized society, and it's incredibly unique to be at the forefront of the newest technological advancements!"
"I find the broad, multidisciplinary aspect of cognitive science - applied specifically to technological developments - very attractive. To be part of such a rapidly developing field is truly something unique."
Study choice activities
Throughout the year you have the opportunity to meet us and learn more about Tilburg University and the programs that we offer. You can take part in various types of events: on-campus, abroad or online.
16:00 - 17:00
Psychology Application and Admission - Webinar for the Bachelor's program
Are you interested in the Bachelor's program Psychology and do you want more information about the application and selection procedure? Join our Psychology Application and Admission Webinar! Psychology is a Numerus Fixus program, which means you will go through a selection procedure after applying. This one-hour interactive session will give you useful information on what you can expect from the application process. You can join the webinar at 10:00 or 16:00 on November 2.
To be announced
Student for a day Bachelor's programs
Do you have a specific study program in mind or are you still considering various options? Join one or more of our Student for a day event(s) this fall, 2023. Together with our students you can attend a variety of mini-lectures and discover whether the study program suits you.
16:00 - 17:00
Application and Admission - Webinar for Bachelor's programs
Are you interested in a Bachelor’s program at Tilburg University, and do you want to know more about the application procedure for international students? Take the first step towards a successful application by joining our Application and Admission Webinar for our Bachelor’s programs. You can join the webinar at 10:00 or 16:00 on November 30.
All information in one brochure
Download one clear package with information about: program content, admission requirements, career prospects, housing and immigration matters, and much more.
Our Students on Instagram: #wearetilburguniversity
Are you and Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence a match? If you...
are good at logical reasoning, analyzing and have a creative mindset
are curious about how computers and robots show intelligent behavior
are interested in being at the forefront of how technological innovations can be used in a responsible way to benefit society
Then this is the program for you!