Open a Dutch bank account
In order to assist you with opening a Dutch bank account, Tilburg University has made an agreement with ABN AMRO bank, which is one of the most popular banks in the Netherlands and is conveniently located in Tilburg.
Do I need to open a Dutch bank account?
- First, check if you have a bank account in a country that is a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) country in our overview of SEPA countries. If you have a bank account in a country that is a member of SEPA, it is not strictly necessary to open a Dutch bank account. You are advised to contact your own bank for more information.
- If you have been awarded a Scholarship, which includes receiving payments from Tilburg University, it is particularly important to open a Dutch bank account. This is the only way we can transfer the Scholarship to you.
The ABN AMRO Student Package
The Student Package offered by our partner ABN AMRO is free of charge for international students. It includes:
- A Dutch bank account and a debit card that can be used in every store in the Netherlands and also on the University campus
- A card reader (E.dentifier) and access to Internet Banking and Mobile Banking
- Unfortunately it is not possible for international students to apply for a credit card
How to open a student account at ABN AMRO Bank?
There are two steps you need to take to open your student bank account.
Step 1: Online application
It is possible for all international students with a residence address in the Netherlands to open a bank account online at ABN AMRO bank.
You can start your online application by clicking the button below and follow every step carefully.
Step 2: Appointment to finalize your application
After you have applied online for a Student Package, you immediately have to make an appointment at the nearest local office by using the ABN internet form or you can contact the the ABN AMRO Appointment Desk via +31 (0)88 226 2635
ABN AMRO Tilburg
5038 CL, Tilburg
See Google Maps for the location
During the appointment your identity will be verified and your documents checked. Please make sure you have the required documents at hand during your appointment with ABN AMRO to finalize your application successfully: You will receive an account number, bank card, pin and activation code within 5 working days.
Due to Covid-19, if you have to go into (self) quarantine you cannot have an appointment with the bank during your quarantine period.
Overview of required documents needed to finalize your application
Register your BSN Number within 6 weeks
Additional information for minor students (under 18 years)
Additional information for students older than 30 years
If you have any questions regarding the online application process or the required documents, you can send an email to ABN AMRO Tilburg: email@example.comAMRO.com.