In order to assist you with opening a Dutch bank account, Tilburg University has made an agreement with ABN AMRO bank, which is one of the most popular banks in the Netherlands and is conveniently located in Tilburg.
Registration Day (Fall 2020)
Due to COVID-19, the application process for a bank account will most likely change. Tilburg University and ABN AMRO are looking into shaping the process. We are working hard to make sure that every student that resides in The Netherlands can open a Dutch bank account.
ABN AMRO International Student Account
International students can open an ABN AMRO International Student Account:
- The debit card can be used in every store in the Netherlands and also on the University campus.
- Monthly account charges for this International Student Account are approximately € 1.55.
- You will receive a bank account, debit card and access to Internet Banking and Mobile Banking.
- Unfortunately it is not possible for International Students to apply for a Credit Card.
Do I need to open a Dutch bank account?
- First, check if you have a bank account in a country that is a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) country in our overview of SEPA countries (pdf). If you have a bank account in a country that is a member of SEPA, it is not strictly necessary to open a Dutch bank account. You are advised to contact your own bank for more information.
- If you have been awarded a Scholarship, which includes receiving payments from Tilburg University, it is particularly important to open a Dutch bank account. This is the only way we can transfer the Scholarship to you.