Study Abroad Study Plan - Tilburg School of Theology
Would you like to lend color to your Bachelor’s degree? Why not opt for studying a semester abroad! The Tilburg School of Theology thinks it is important that all students are given this unique opportunity during their studies. Below you will find more information on how you can incorporate a Study Abroad experience in your program.
Students can follow courses at the partner university as electives. In the bachelor’s program there are 21 ECTS worth of electives. Students can also exchange courses from the fixed curriculum with similar courses at the partner university. In all cases, students must have permission from the Examination Board. Students can contact their Education Coordinator to make a selection of courses at the partner university and a study plan.
By following courses abroad as described, students can go on exchange in either the spring semester of their second year, or in the fall or spring semester of their third year.
- Students wanting to go abroad in the spring semester of their second year need to apply for an exchange in their first year of study. Special eligibility rules apply in this case. First year Theology students are excluded from applying for the first deadline in November. They can apply for the second or third application deadline if they have obtained 30 ECTS. Or, they can apply for the fourth or fifth application deadline if they have obtained 54 ECTS. Check the application deadlines.
- Students wanting to go abroad in the fall or spring semester of their third year need to meet the regular eligibility criteria of 60 ECTS to apply.
Students can exchange courses from the fixed curriculum with similar courses of the partner university. Students must have permission of the Examining Board. Students can contact the Educational Coordinator to make a selection of courses of the partner university and a study plan.
If your program is not mentioned in the list above, or if you have any questions, please contact your Education Coordinator for more information.
Selecting courses at the Partner University
When looking for courses at the Partner University, there are a couple of rules to keep in mind:
- Each student is expected to take 24 - 30 ECTS worth of courses abroad. It does not matter whether you need the credits for your study program (e.g. minor program) at Tilburg University or not. An intensive language course starting before the official exchange period will not count towards the 24 ECTS you are required to obtain during your exchange.
- You are expected to take courses that complement your study program at Tilburg University.
- Courses need to be at the appropriate level. This means Master’s students can only take courses at Master level. You cannot take any first year Bachelor’s courses if your courses will count towards your Bachelor’s program. Any course that covers practical skills will not be approved. In addition, courses that overlap with courses you already took at Tilburg University will not be approved either. Consult your education coordinator for more information about the possibilities.
All courses you will take abroad will need to be approved by the TST Examination Board. This happens during the pre-departure phase, after you find out which host university you have been selected for. You can find the instructions for your course approval on our Courses at the partner university page, and in the pre-departure instructions in your Mobility Online workflow.