De studentenpsychologen bieden kortdurende, doelgerichte hulp bij studie- en studeerproblemen en bij kortdurende persoonlijke problemen.

Student psychologist

The student psychologists offer short-term, goal-oriented help with study and study problems, short-term personal problems and guidance on problems that directly affect studies.

What can I contact a student psychologist for?

For all study-related complaints and for short-term personal problems, such as:

  • You feel very tense or anxious during exams. 
  • You cannot concentrate on your study, for example because you are brooding or your thoughts are wandering over and over again. 
  • You do make plans to study, but you postpone studying again and again. 
  • Despite your efforts, the study results are still disappointing. 
  • You are dissatisfied with yourself or your social contacts.  
  • You don't dare to stand up for yourself, you are too modest. 
  • You have the feeling that it's all becoming too much. 
  • You suffer from physical complaints without being able to find a physical cause for them. 

If, in addition to study-related complaints, there are multiple personal problems, long-term personal problems or if you need immediate help, we recommend that you first contact your general practitioner in the Netherlands.

Do you have study-related or short-term personal issues and want to apply for support?  

Directly to the application form in Osiris  

Top 5 FAQ to the student psychologists:

I feel so stressed about / overwhelmed by my studies; what can I do to change this?
  • Try to create overview by planning and prioritizing all tasks.
  • Find a sustainable study routine so you can keep up with the work.
  • Find contact with friends, family and fellow students. 

On the webpage How do I take good care of myself and keep track of my studies, you will find the most common advice we give students to take good care of themselves and keep track of their studies.

Mindfulness and meditation

Mindfulness or meditation can also help you deal with stress. More info about mindfulness can be found at:

Because I keep postponing everything, I am delaying my studies, how do I get rid of it?

Procrastination is a common problem among students. We have a web page with helpful advice for overcoming procrastination.

Check the webpage Fight procrastination

I feel lonely. Who can I talk to about this?

Social worker

The social worker at Tilburg University can provide extra support for problems you may encounter in everyday life that make studying difficult, but also offers a listening ear.

Check what the social worker can do for you

Student Pastorate

The student pastor is there for all students, regardless of their background.

Perfectionism is affecting my life. What can I do about it?

The student psychologists at Tilburg University have developed an interactive training to help you deal with your perfectionism in a positive way. On this webpage you will find information (knowledge clip) about Positive Perfectionism, about the training and how to participate.

Read more on the Positive Perfectionism Training

I am not succeeding in writing my thesis, I keep getting stuck. How can I get back on track?

In the Back on Track consultation hour, you can discuss topics and questions about your thesis with the student psychologist and a staff member from the Scriptorium. 

Register for the Back on Track consultation

When do you see your general practioner (directly)?

If you need long-term or more specialized care, make an appointment with your general practitioner (GP). If you do not yet have a GP in Tilburg; check the webpage on General practitioners.

Long-term or more specialized help is needed, for example, when your symptoms are urgent or serious, such as when you are suicidal. Also, more specialized help is needed when multiple problems exist simultaneously, in different areas of life, or over a longer period of time (for example, anxiety or depression already present before the start of your studies).

In that case, our advice will always be to contact your general practitioner directly and ask for a referral for more intensive psychological help outside the university that is more focused on those problems.

Apply for support

Are you troubled by study-related complaints or short-term personal problems and would you like to
would like to talk to a student psychologist, fill out the online application form. Once you have filled out the form, you will receive an automatic confirmation of your application. This email contains a link to our Bookings system. With this link you are able to schedule a short meeting to discuss your form with Indira Vaessen, the Psychological Assistant. Together with Indira, you will take a closer look at your situation. Subsequently, you will be advised on what kind of help would be best for you.

Fill out the application form in Osiris  

Please note: PhD students can make an appointment with the PhD psychologist.

Help from the student psychologist

Depending on the nature of the request for help, there are a number of possibilities:

  • Sometimes a one-off advice and information session is sufficient. 
  • A short-term, individual counseling cycle of 1 up to a maximum of 5 sessions with the student psychologist is also possible. The number of sessions will depend on your request for help and on the progress of your issues. 
  • It may also be necessary to refer you to other care agencies for more specialized or longer-term help. In such cases you will always need a referral from your general practitioner. 


  • The advice (via e-mail) following your registration form is free of charge.
  • There is no personal contribution for individual meetings with the student psychologist. There is no charge.
  • The costs for a training course depend on the number of hours. The costs are clearly stated on the web page concerned. 

Questions or advice?

If you have any questions or would like advice by mail, please contact us by mail

If you have already had a conversation with one of our psychologists or with the psychological assistant, you can also contact them directly by e-mail.


The student psychologists are GZ-psychologists registered in the BIG-register and affiliated with the Nederlands Instituut van Psychologen (Dutch Institute of Psychologists) and therefore also work according to the professional code established within this professional association. Check the website of the Dutch Psychologists Intstitute for more info on the Dutch system. 

Our Student psychologists

When I think back on the conversations, I learned a lot. Now I focus more on the positive.

Human Resource Studies student

Student Support Roadmap

Who to turn to with what question?

Are you stuck in your studies, or do you have personal problems that affect your studies? Are you uncomfortable or do you experience a lot of stress? Are you unsure about your choice of study? Do you have a problem with your tuition fees? Or don't know what you want to do after you graduate? We are here to help you. Answer a few questions and you will immediately know who to contact for information, advice or guidance.