Students Tilburg University


Dyslexia is a disorder characterized by persistent problems with learning to read and/or spell and in reading and/or spelling accurately and/or fluently at the individual word level.

People who have dyslexia have a harder time reading, spelling and writing than would be expected on the basis of their age and education. A diagnosis of dyslexia is only given if there are no other causes to which these problems can be attributed. Dyslexia can involve difficulties with both reading and spelling, or with only one or the other.

Of course, studying includes a large amount of reading and writing. Students who have dyslexia may experience more difficulty studying and need more time to study than the average student.

If you have dyslexia and think you will need special facilities or might run into problems during your studies because of this, it is not only important to inform one of the Deans of Students well in advance, but obligatory to do so if you wish to use certain facilities.

To be eligible, you will also be required to furnish proof, in this case a recognized dyslexia certificate. Read more about why it's important to report any study delays.


In many cases it is the Examination Board that judges whether you are entitled to special facilities as based on necessity and availability. Of course, there are limits to what is possible. The university will help you assess your own needs and determine which arrangements are feasible.

Such arrangements can include:

  • Special exam facilities such as extended examination time. Further information and application form.
    NB: Please note that procedures for approving exam facilities can take some time. As tests and exams can be scheduled from as early as October, you should submit your request as quickly as possible at the beginning of the academic year using the designated application form.
  • Education facilities such as an adapted study plan, staggered examinations or permission to record lectures. You can discuss these options with the education coordinator.
  • Possible deferment of the BSA
  • Financial allowances in the event that you fall behind with your studies.

If you have an impairment and have any questions about study facilities, would like advice on special arrangements or practical tips on how to organize your studies, contact the education coordinator.

Dyslexia assessment

If you think you have dyslexia but do not have a recognized dyslexia certificate or need an additional diagnosis, there are testing agencies you can visit. Do bear in mind that the certificate has to be issued by at least a general remedial educationalist, a health psychologist or an NIP-registered child and youth psychologist.

For an address near you, please visit the website of the Nederlands Kwaliteitsinstituut Dyslexie (in Dutch).