Students Tilburg University

Rules and conditions in the event of switching to a different program

If you decide to switch to a different program, a number of regulations apply.

If you decide to switch, please bear in mind that there is a difference between the application for student finance (if you are entitled to Dutch Study Finance) and the enrollment at the educational institution. You can be enrolled at an educational institution without applying for student finance, but not the other way around: you need to be enrolled somewhere to be able to apply for student finance.

The legislation on student finance, tuition fees, and enrollment is complex. Therefore, it is wise to first consult a dean of students if you think you may want to switch and are unsure of the consequences.

The best moment to switch

If you are quite sure you want to switch to a different program, you can sometimes do so in the middle of the academic year, but you can also wait until the start of the new academic year (September). It will depend on the timing of your decision, and whether you already know what program you want to switch to. It is often difficult to start a new program halfway into the academic year; usually it will be hard to catch up. At Tilburg University, you can only enroll in a (different) program after October 1 if the Executive Board gives its permission. Most programs at Tilburg University do not admit first-year students after October 1. So always inquire with the education coordinator of the new program first.

Especially at universities of applied sciences, where the system includes teaching in blocks and students being part of fixed groups, it may be difficult to start a program several weeks into the new academic year. It may also be inconvenient that you missed the introduction and as a result missed connecting with fellow students. On the other hand there is a growing number of universities of applied sciences that have two intakes a year. In that case, you begin your program from scratch with your fellow students.

If you still want to switch in the course of the academic year, please ask the education coordinator of the new program what would be the best moment to switch with a view to the curriculum. If you decide to switch right at the beginning of the academic year, you had better do it as quickly as you can to give yourself the best chance to catch up.

Please note: make sure you do not rush into ill-considered action a second time. Always contact the education coordinator of the relevant program. They can tell you whether you can switch in the course of the year or need to wait until the next academic year and give information on the program and any exemptions. Ask the dean of students about the consequences for your student finance if you decide to switch.

If you are unsure what program to choose, sign up for the Reorientation on Study Program Workshop.

Enrolling and terminating enrollment

Information on the enrollment procedure is available at the Student Administration of your new institution (for Tilburg University programs: at the Student Desk). In principle, you enroll for an entire academic year, running from September 1 up to and including August 31. If you apply for enrollment after September 1, you will, as a rule, be enrolled on the first day of the following month. Please note: for most programs at Tilburg University, starting after September 1 is not an option, unless there are very special circumstances.

If you switch over to a different program in the same academic year, you do not need to de-enroll from your first program. As long as you do not yet have a diploma, you pay the statutory tuition fee only once, even if you are enrolled for more than one program. Your enrollment is automatically ended on August 31. You can, of course, de-enroll earlier if you wish.

Tuition fee

If you do not yet have a higher education diploma and are an EU citizen, you pay the statutory rate, which is the same amount everywhere in The Netherlands (universities and universities of applied sciences = hbo).

You only pay this amount once for an academic year, no matter for how many programs you are enrolled.

If you are not eligible for the statutory rate, the tuition fees differ per program and per institution. Learn more about the tuition fee rates at Tilburg University.

* When you have paid the statutory fee and you want to switch to a different program at a different institution, you do not need to de-enroll from your first program. Ask for Proof of tuition fee payment (in Dutch: Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld, BBC) at the Student Desk. You can use it to enroll in a different program at a different institution without having to pay the tuition fee again. It only makes sense to de-enroll (and request a refund of your tuition fee) if you don’t start a new program in the same academic year.

Binding study advice (BSA)

You will not receive binding study advice if you de-enroll before March 1. This means you could start the same program again in the next college year, regardless of whether and how many credits you have earned. You need to deregister from Studielink in February at the latest.

If you have a residence permit for study purposes (non-EU students), you must ensure that you complete at least 50% of your credits, even if you switch. The Study progress monitoring regulations non-EU students continues to apply.

If you enroll in the first year of a program on or after October 1, you will not receive binding study advice in that year. The next academic year (so in your second year), the BSA norm is 100%, meaning that you must complete all first-year courses in that year.